Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

An Improper Way To Ship A Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 588Next Topic  
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  02:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jfrederick to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Recently I purchased an inexpensive Nickel-Brass coin on ebay. When the coin arrived, it was affixed between two pieces of thin cardboard with scotch tape applied directly to the surfaces of the coin!

I immediately wrote to the seller to point out my displeasure with his shipping practice, and that some residue from the tape had to be removed from the coin with soap and water. I also noted that tape residue could, in the long-term, damage the coin. I didn't ask for a refund, so (as he later admitted) he ignored my concern saying that my message "did not require a response." I waited nearly two months without reply, so shortly before the window closed I left a neutral feedback for the transaction - explaining precisely why I was doing so. (This is the first non-positive feedback I have left in at least 10 years - with hundreds of buying transactions in the meantime.)

Now, suddenly, he was ready to respond. First he left me his feedback in which he griped about the neutral I left him. After I messaged him to explain politely why I had done so, he replied by refusing to even acknowledge my concern as legitimate. In fact, he said my concern was "illegitimate," called my actions "insane," said that even messaging him in the first place was "ridiculous," and concluded by saying that I shouldn't be so "mad" and offended by "a piece of tape."

I have been collecting, buying, and selling coins for over forty years. Most sellers do a reasonable job of preparing coins for shipment - some definitely better than others. But never before have I seen a piece of tape deliberately applied to a the surface of a collectible coin!

Am I wrong to believe that applying tape directly to the surface of a collectible coin is bad practice?

I know what I believe the answer to be, but your thoughts and input would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Edited by jfrederick
08/11/2020 02:54 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
627 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  04:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Am I wrong to believe that applying tape directly to the surface of a collectible coin is bad practice?

No, you are definitely not wrong. Just wondering though if this seller was selling this coin as a one off or does his feedback show that he has sold quite a few coins?

I ask this because not long ago my brother graciously sent me some coins that he had very carefully sticky taped to a piece of cardboard! I was horrified because some of the coins were Unc!

When I questioned him about his packing technique his response was that he didn't want the coins to move around in the envelope. I tactfully informed him of his error and gave them all a good bath in acetone.

... and in regard to your feedback I think that the sellers lucky that you didn't make it negative.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20761 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post a link to the seller so we all know?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14014 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was definitely not good shipping practice . Either the seller just didn't care or he knew nothing about coins in general . You had every right to leave a neutral feedback.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Learn More...
United States
90039 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community, jfrederick.

I wish a happier event had brought you here.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfrederick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, thank you all for your replies. I feel much better about the course of action I took.

With regards to posting a link to the seller, I'm reluctant to do so as my goal is not, and never was, to damage his business. Coins are only one part of his store (about 100 of 2000 listings), so I think he was just ignorant; but hopefully knows better now. Most of his coins are overpriced junk box varieties. The one I found filled a specific niche and was in good shape.

Is it common practice here to post links to the transactions we discuss? If so, I'll consider it.

Edited by jfrederick
08/11/2020 12:06 pm
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20761 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If he's got a hundred coin listings and ships like this, and thinks it's perfectly ok, everyone here needs to know.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfrederick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a new member I am not able to send an email to another member, but if you send me a private message I will share with you the information.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20761 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I own the joint. Feel better posting it now?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3513 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, you were not wrong - in fact, you probably should have given him a neg - neutral was too nice for this one. Especially since all he really probably needed to do was say oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize
Valued Member
United States
330 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  09:35 am  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good thing it wasn't a MS-65 red USA large cent!

You did the right thing.

When I sell an inexpensive coin, I put it in a 2x2 stapled together cardboard holder. Then I put that in a 2.5x2.5 plastic flip. I then tape the plastic flip to a piece of cardboard, insert that and a note in a regular paper envelope. Seal the whole thing and stick on a single stamp to the addressed envelope. No tracking as that would cost more than what I got paid for the coin.

On more expensive coins, I usually place the 2x2 in a padded envelope and the put that in a sturdy cardboard box, print out a USPS label with tracking and attach. So far no problems with either method.
Edited by John K
08/16/2020 09:37 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3443 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've neg 'ed for that and would again.

Shipping is designed to insure the piece arrives in the "as pictured" condition.
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Valued Member
United States
330 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2020  07:49 am  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Shipping is designed to insure the piece arrives in the "as pictured" condition.

Have you noticed how some auctions now say "You will receive a coin similar to the one pictured." In other words you have no idea what it will look like. This is fairly common on some of the non-eBay sights.

Read the fine print afore bidding. I once got stung for $25 shipping on a Canada 5 cent silver - about 10 times what I bid.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3443 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2020  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Read ebay's Ts & Cs, technically stock photos are not allowed. More honored in the breach than the observance.
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2020  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coins1989 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same thing happened to me today. Received an 1883 'No Cents' Liberty nickel that was attached to cardboard with tape. In my case there doesn't appear to have been any damage but it was sort of shocking. You'd think even a novice to Coins would know better.

I plan to send him a note. Wonder if this is the same guy.
Edited by Coins1989
08/22/2020 8:16 pm
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2020  01:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfrederick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If your seller is from the Dallas-Fort Worth suburbs of Texas, maybe....
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 588Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05