Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Chinese Cash Coin - Taking The Plunge.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 280Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
194 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  5:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
OK, I'll start by saying I have never purchased or even delved into these suckers owing to the stories of gazillions of fake coins floating about. Yesterday a coin turned up in one of my bulk sorting escapades so decided I might try and partially fill that massive gap in my coin knowledge. The caveat is, I don't want to waste my time on a fake coin. Sooo...
can you please if possible let me know if this coin seems genuine (without actually identifying it). Also, are there any online ID guides that you would recommend for a starter like me?
Weight - 3.77g
Diameter - 24.5mm
Opposite side has no characters (is blank).
Thanks
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17266 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because the genuine cash coins were cast, it is easily possible for the faker to make their products in exactly the same way.
However, that doesn't stop me from collecting them.
Provided the price is right.
I started out collecting cash coins perhaps 40 or more years ago buy buying a large job lot of about 200 coins at 20 cents per coin. I had no way of knowing if they were fake or not, so I just assumed that they were all fake, and I told the seller exactly that. He had no idea if they were fake or not, either!
I had no way of identifying them except that I made sure that that they were all different in their script. By taking this strategy I reasoned that it would be an awful lot of effort to make 200 different coins, and the possibility that they were all fake would be lessened.

They sat as a bulk lot in my collection for perhaps another 10 years, until I went to Noble numismatics in Sydney, and was told that a copy of Schjoth was available. As it turned out, that was not completely right; the book was with Spinks in London.

The history of the book is interesting. It was originally bought by the Portland Coin Club in Oregon and gifted to the local city library. It was only borrowed a few times, and was sold as part of a numismatic book job lot to Spinks. I was asked if I was still interested. I said that I was. The book was exported to Sydney and I bought it off Jim Noble for AU$ 14.

I set to work identifying the cash coins that I have, which as it turned out, is fairly easy to do. Now, each is coin is fully identified and lives in a cardboard / Mylar 2x2 coin flip. According top Jim Noble, all of my cast cash coins appear to be genuine.

Today, the more common ones would be valued at $3-$5 each, the scarcer ones up to $40 each.
Learn More...
Australia
13417 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, if "Chinese cash coin" is your goal, then you are yet to attain it... because this one is Japanese. It is, however, likely to be genuine.

Japan made coins with this same four-character inscription - read as "Kan Ei Tsu Ho" in Japanese, or "Kuan yong tong bao" in Chinese, a phrase which roughly translates to "eternal coinage" - for over 200 years, from 1626 right through to the end of the Shogunate in 1868. The markings (if any) on the back and careful study of the calligraphy can narrow down the date range. WIkipedia.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Canada
657 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aiglet7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Online guides with solid information on ancient and medieval Chinese coins would include:-

http://primaltrek.com/chinesecoins.html

http://www.calgarycoin.com/referenc...a/china2.htm

An excellent book to invest in would be 'A Guide To Cash Coins' by David Hartill

Hope this helps.
Valued Member
Australia
194 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses. Japanese! That's why I had no success looking under Chinese cash coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17266 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CalgaryCoin is excellent with Greek and Roman as well.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 280Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05