Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Problems With USPS Retail Package Service?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 461Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
582 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  08:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been doing a lot of buying and selling on eBay recently. I've had numerous tracked packages that seem to be stuck in limbo- i.e badly mis-routed and/or no status updates for days. I'm wondering if others are experiencing a big erosion in reliability like this.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50350 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm experiencing the same problem, and from what I hear, many others are as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
629 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had one package that took almost a month to reach me.

They aren't requiring you to sign with signature confirmation these days with COVID-19. Not sure what happens if the package is stolen.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1270 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The new postmaster general is shaking things up.

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/11/9013...ing-measures

I expect there to be havoc until December at the least.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9341 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had the same issue with USPS the last month or so. Very slow delivery times with no tracking updates. I have not answered the ebay question if the package arrived on time to the estimated delivery date as it is a totally unfair question. If a seller sends a package the day after the purchase and it takes 2 weeks to arrive it is not the seller's fault.
I went to the Tyler coin show last weekend and was talking to a dealer who said he had a package deliver with $30,000 worth of gold that was supposed to be signature required just dropped at his mail box.....
1883-O Nut
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfrederick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Comment above: "They aren't requiring you to sign with signature confirmation these days with COVID-19."
They had no problem taking my money for signature confirmation just a few days ago....

I received a package yesterday (8/14) in CA, mailed from MD on 7/22, with no tracking updates until the day before delivery.

I currently have two packages on their way to buyers - one in MN the other in PA - no tracking updates on either since 7/25 and 8/3 respectively. So far my buyers have been very kind and patient, but I know sooner than later I'm going to have to refund for INR. Yet I fully expect both packages will ultimately be delivered. Wondering if I should invoice them directly via PayPal once I see that they have been? One I could afford to write-off, but the other was of good value. Such a shame - I've never before even thought I would have to consider re-invoicing.

It's been very hit or miss. Most packages, while a bit delayed, seem to move through the system reasonably well - even Media Mail items! Then others fall into an abyss... Apparently Priority Mail is not impacted, but much of what I sell doesn't warrant Priority Mail prices.

I put ALL of the blame on DeJoy - the new Postmaster General. His policies are hurting real people at the worst possible time. He's cutting services, pulling out blue boxes, and ultimately destroying what I consider to have been the most efficient mail service in the world in terms of delivery. But I do realize that it's operating deficits are an issue, exacerbated by the switch by many to paperless billing and online bill pay, among other things. I'm all for an increase in rates if that's what's needed to balance the budget and keep the service we've all come to expect (though maybe not fully appreciate when we had it).

All in all it's hard to take when selling has become a necessary supplement to my regular income.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2565 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in the same boat. I currently have three orders I purchased with no tracking updates since August 12.

I have one order, sent from Houston, Texas, which was sent to San Jose, CA. I live just north of Milwaukee, WI.

It is frustrating to say the least.

On the other hand, last month I mailed an inexpensive coin to London, England using regular first class airmail, and it arrived there in three days. Go figure.
Paul Bulgerin
Valued Member
United States
330 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  09:21 am  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same thing happened to me last week. I ship about 50 packages every Tuesday. Tracking had been pretty good until last week. All packages showed up as having been accepted into USPS system (I use a SCAN form to speed things up). Then about half of them appeared to be stuck in my local USPS - tracking showed they were going nowhere. Then about ten days later they all showed up as delivered. No tracking in between. I got plenty of emails from unhappy buyers wondering why their package was still in Texas.

The other half of the packages showed normal tracking so buyers knew they were going to get their items.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2565 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2020  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A pleasant surprise - The last batch of coins I shipped to buyers this week all arrived with lightning-fast speed.

The coins I had been waiting to arrive all showed up on the same day this week after reappearing on the USPS tracking radar after no updates for three to four days.
Paul Bulgerin
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2020  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfrederick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since making my initial post, I have noticed definitive improvement in USPS delivery times - and scanning of packages! The pressure put on DeJoy and USPS by Congress and the media these past few weeks has made a difference....for now.

And all of my lost packages eventually showed up. Thankfully, my buyers were all understanding. Even the one who opened an INR case after just 10 days turned out to be reasonable - waited it out a bit longer than usual and left positive feedback in the end.

Edited by jfrederick
09/02/2020 5:53 pm
Valued Member
United States
330 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2020  09:15 am  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I scheduled a pickup Thursday & Friday. My carrier never got the notification. I had to meet him at the mailbox Friday so he would know there were packages to be picked up. Tried calling the local post office. Gave up after 40 rings.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1754 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2020  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Check jdmern's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jdmern to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We ship out several hundred packages a week, around 20% have been arriving very late, missing scans, misrouted, ect... The rest are going through like normal
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 461Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05