Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Five Curios In Need Of Identification

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 645Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
34 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  8:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mostlysilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi! Could I please have some help identifying these five items from my box of unusual acquisitions?

Thanks for your help.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2412 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1) looks similar to a Shakespeare Dublin halpenny conder
2) Russia 2 kopeki KN date uncertain
3) Canadian Blacksmith halfpenny token?
4) similar to a Columbia farthing token but not one I'm familiar with
5) maybe George III halfpenny, can't see the date so it may be non-regal
Pillar of the Community
United States
1282 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can see the remnants of a date at the base of the figure, 17-something.
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mostlysilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After much squinting, I think it's 1773.
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mostlysilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry! I forgot to thank you for the info, algenbagerap!
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3174 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2) Russia 2 kopeki KN date uncertain
Saint-Petersburg mint, mintmaster Pavel Stupitsyn, 1810-14.

I think the date is 1813, but I'm not entirely sure.

[EDIT: fixed typo.]
Edited by january1may
08/13/2020 7:24 pm
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mostlysilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that information. Yes, 1813. The "3" becomes pretty clear with the light at the right angle.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
632 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Squire Wilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...I think the third coin - below the Russian coin - shows the harp of Ireland on the reverse...
Squire
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mostlysilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking now that both #3 & #4 might be Canadian blacksmith half penny tokens. They're very thin, (about 1 mm), and I've read that the harp of Ireland was a common feature of those pieces. Also, the box of old copper coins they were found in, which was passed down through my father-in-law's family for generations, had several other Canadian tokens. I think I'll post them on the Canadian forum and see what they think.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1282 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  01:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#3 is describe as:

Quote:
Lower Canada, 1820 bust and harp imitation halfpenny, c. 1830.
Obverse: Laureate bust left.
Reverse: Nine string harp, 1820 below.
Composition: Brass. Edge: Plain. Diameter: 27.8mm

#4 is also a Canadian token
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces82283.html

Numista has quite the list though they could use help on some of the pictures. https://en.numista.com/catalogue/ca...inces-1.html

Quote:
I think I'll post them on the Canadian forum and see what they think.

It's generally best practice to post each coin individually in the most appropriate forum.

Quote:
After much squinting, I think it's 1773.

That doesn't mean it's a regal issue just that it has a date. In fact with the figures head on the reverse I am pretty sure it is not.
Edited by Gincoin43
08/14/2020 01:15 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1282 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are two Numista entries for bust and harp tokens.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces99602.html

I think your's Is the imitation but I'm not 100%
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mostlysilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank for that info, Gincoin43.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what does "regal" mean in this context?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1282 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Issued under the authority of the crown.

Here's a scholarly article:
https://coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoi...t.intro.html

And one less so on an Irish Non-regal:
https://npobjects.wordpress.com/201...a-halfpenny/

Weight would be the first place to start to confirm but it's not really an area I know much about.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2347 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please Post one coin at a time
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Just seconding keith12's emotion...
"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi again, mostlysilver ~

Now that I've had a chance to check the books, I'm able to pin down your #4 halfpenny as CH LC-57Ax and BR 1011. I used the "x" at the end to indicate that your example is one of three varieties of that token that were struck with the "crude '82'" in the date. Exactly which variety would be determined by metal (copper or brass) and die axis (coin or medal).

If you're not familiar with the literature on Canadian tokens, the CH denotes Charlton's "Canadian Colonial Tokens," now in its 10th edition, and the LC = Lower Canada. BR is short for Breton, whose book on these tokens was published in 1894.

In my "real" collection, which is the early 19th-century British (and Anglo-Canadian) copper tokens as catalogued by Davis/Withers and silver tokens (see Dalton), this is identified as "Non-local," meaning it's untethered to a particular shire or city. Davis carried it as #77, and it's listed in Withers as #1437. I have two of them, but they're both the more common "normal '82'" variety.

One last thing: If yours is brass, you've hit the jackpot, as Charlton lists it in all caps as "EXTREMELY RARE."
"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 645Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05