Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Curious In Tennessee! Larger Than Normal Penny...anyone Have Any Input?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 442Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  8:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Romeow to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Learn More...
United States
17137 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@romeow, first welcome to CCF. Second, I'll move this thread over to the correct subforum to get some eyeballs on it.

Third, please post the diameter of this cent. Normally, these end up being so-called Texas Cents.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Romeow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Spence for your help. This measures 3/4 inch across, roughly 1/8 inch larger than a regular penny. It has that "silver ping" sound to it also. It isn't steel, as it won't stick to a magnet.
Learn More...
United States
17137 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes you are correct; in the process of stretching out a normal cent between two straps of leather, the copper plating often flakes off and leaves behind the zinc core. That is why this is silver-colored. It should weigh the same as other cents--the process enlarges the diameter and decreases the thickness, but the loss of copper plating doesn't remove enough mass for most of our scales to weigh a difference.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16936 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This measures 3/4 inch across, roughly 1/8 inch larger than a regular penny.

A regular cent is supposed to be 3/4 inch in diameter (19.05 mm / 25.4 (mm/inch) = .75 inches)

1/8 inch larger would make it 7/8 inch or 22.22 mm a little larger than a nickel (21.21 mm)
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
08/12/2020 9:53 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10904 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  02:45 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Can you take a pic of it next to a normal cent?
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Learn More...
United States
90152 Posts
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Romeow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
1136 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Texas cent "everything is bigger in Texas". and it's post mint damage.
As was said, someone hammering it between leather to thin it and make it bigger in diameter and the copper plating comes off, it's a better result if done on the brass or bronze cents.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Romeow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the welcoming, and for all the help. I'm a rookie when it comes to the older coin, but I have been gathering the oldies as I come across them for years. (i have a few, lol). This was just an oddball I wanted to know about. So, I have learned about Texas Cents...thank you!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46202 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Question of the day: If the copper plating is missing off the coin, then why is the zinc dust still present on the coin? I checked other examples and saw the same thing.

I typed up an answer yesterday and then deleted it. Then looking again it hit me.
Highlight the blank area below this line.
The plating and the zinc dust peeled off the coin. But why is that pattern there? The zinc dust was pressed into the coin. So when it peel off it fell off with the plating. But the strike or the vise that squeeze, made an imprint on the coin. So we are seeing the little dents the zinc dust made on the coin.
Highlight the blank area above this line.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3057 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the weight of the coin, that will tell us everything..
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  01:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Romeow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have anything to weigh something so small...not even a kitchen scale
Pillar of the Community
United States
3570 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  01:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

ša va bien aller
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 442Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05