Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Uniface Small Silver Coin!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 533Next Topic  
Portugal
9 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  3:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gpereira221 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I need help to identify the small uniface silver coin (13 mm and 0,4 g):

Thank you
Gonšalo
Learn More...
United States
17120 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@gp, I'm bummed that we haven't been able to help you with identifying this coin yet. As you may know, uniface Deniers and Pfennige were issued in various regions of Switzerland and Germany in the middle ages. However, I'm not finding this cross with an angel overlaid yet.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1282 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks more like a bird than an angel to me, seems to have a feathery tail. Not that that makes it easier.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3733 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had also thought eagle when I first looked.
I think we saw a repro of a medieval Austrian piece recently that had the Hapsburg eagle with a shield on its chest with a cross, but this eagle has just one head.

The cross looks like the type used on medieval Saxon pfennigs, but it's a pretty general type. Almost looks like one design was stamped over the other.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1282 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can see part of a wreath on the reverse. Could we get a better picture of the obverse? This one's a bit blurry.

I had looked briefly in Saxony but the number of German states is frankly overwhelming.
Edited by Gincoin43
08/16/2020 09:20 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3733 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I have a terminology question.

A one-sided (einseitger) Germanic coin should have a blank reverse (i.e. it has a flat reverse die?)

Whereas a bracteate has the obverse design incuse on the reverse?

Which I think might make this coin a bracteate rather than an einseitger pfennig (if the second photo is the opposite side of the first photo)?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1282 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Einseitiger just means one sided it's not always blank but bracteate might be a better term, you could also try "Hohlpfennige" if it is a bracteate it is probably a later one.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3733 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @gincoin. Thinking one option could be a bracteate or hohlpfennig with some of the edges clipped away. I scrolled through MA-shops under both brakteat and hohlpfennig, but saw no match.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1282 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Kinda matches the weirdly round head on this one.

But right now I am leaning toward Unified Moravia and Margraviate
Portugal
9 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2020  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gpereira221 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be a Polish brakteat, from 1058 to 1100, as there are several with the same type of cross without ornaments
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 533Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05