Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

American Savings And Loan 1888 Morgan Dollar, Anything Special?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 754Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  12:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add firemandmc to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Cant find this online

*** Edited by Staff - Clarified Topic Title ***
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20758 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Old bank giveaway, usually when opening an account. Looks like a genuine Morgan to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3425 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These bank giveaways were back in the time when banks had loads of silver dollars. If this example came from a trusted source there is little doubt that it is genuine.
Brother, can you spare a "BARBER" dime?
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add firemandmc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there any extra value to it than jist the coin itself?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3425 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No extra value except historical.
If it came from a relative who had an account at this bank then there is family history.
Brother, can you spare a "BARBER" dime?
Learn More...
United States
28147 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$1 was a lot to give away back then.
Valued Member
United States
492 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crazy.....I grew up next to one of the branches listed. Dairy Ashford and Memorial was very close! Thanks for sharing.
Learn More...
United States
89942 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there any extra value to it than jist the coin itself?
It may not be much, but there is a subset of collectors who enjoy collecting coins in specialty packaging. In my opinion, the older the better, so this qualifies.
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add firemandmc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im pretty excited about it. I live close to houston, love the history of it. But, like I said, having a difficult time finding historical info on it
Pillar of the Community
United States
660 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at the telephone number, This was before area codes!
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20758 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

My mother in law told me she's so old that when she was a kid her phone number was 7.
Learn More...
United States
89942 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not before area codes (they date back to 1947), but certainly before 10-digit dialing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2116 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd guess early 1960's while silver was still in circulation. There isn't a lot on the internet about this bank, which doesn't appear to exist any more. A few lawsuits and that's about it.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
08/14/2020 9:08 pm
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect these when I find them, great pieces of history!
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wideglide to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can read all about them here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ameri...ngs_and_Loan
"Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?" R.W. 1975

Mark from the metropolis of Portage, PA
A.N.A. #3206350
Edited by Wideglide
08/16/2020 3:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2116 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2020  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I read that too wideglide, and am not sure that it's the same bank. The one in Houston sounds more local than the big institution in Stockton, but I could be wrong. The SEC registration document for ASLA of Houston TX shows a Southwest Freeway address ca 1984. There's also an ASLA in Florida.

The lawsuit dates from 1964, which is a likely time for the coin and its package.

https://www.casemine.com/judgement/...b049345cfb53
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
08/17/2020 12:44 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 754Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05