Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1974 S Roosevent Dime, FB? Grade?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 243Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
224 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  5:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Grelko to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If you would please.

I just pulled this from a roll of dimes, that I got from the grocery store yesterday.

Did they make 1974 S business strikes, or is this a proof coin? I'm not sure which years the S was business strikes also, if any. I couldn't seem to find a list.

It's definitely clad, not silver and it weighs 2.315g

Both sides have quite a few scratches.

The obverse has a wear spot at the 6 o-clock and a small environmental damage spot at 2 o-clock.

The reverse has a wear spot around the 3 o-clock area.

It still has a bit of luster on both sides and it looks like full bands.

I was thinking XF-40 or 45, maybe even AU-50 because of the luster and bands.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1624 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be a proof--what one would call an impaired proof, a proof coin which ended up in circulation and has the wear and dings/nicks to show for it. No Roosevelt dimes were produced at the SF mint in '74 for circulation purposes.

Edited by ijn1944
08/14/2020 5:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
884 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impaired proof.

There is no FB designation given to proofs. Given almost all are going to be FB due to the nature of the strike and the mintage. Compare 2million proofs to the 400 million business strikes. On a business strike there are more Inconsistencies in striking pressure, die wear, polishing, reusing dies, etc. These are all factors, especially in higher montages, that affect the strike and the amount of details on a coin. This holds true to all other designations as well, FBL, FS, FB...

Also, Business strikes graded below MS-60 are also not given a FB designation.
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grelko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the information and that link to the list of Roosevelt dimes.

I don't have that many proof coins, so I'm going to hang onto it even though it's all scratched up.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50575 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree this is a (badly) impaired proof.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 243Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05