Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1891 Large Cent LL LD OBV 2

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 546Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1599 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  2:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What's your grade opinion on this one

Pillar of the Community
Canada
585 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cownick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

AU-50
Pillar of the Community
Canada
689 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58. What's that on the cheek? It looks raised to me but I can't tell for sure.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3195 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-50+
Edited by okiecoiner
08/16/2020 5:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
546 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2020  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin! Easily floors at AU. If it's lustrous move it up.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1599 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2020  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin I had graded by ICCS MS-63 years ago it does have lots of luster on it, I'm hoping PCGS grades it as a MS-63
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1599 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin fooled me graded MS-63 by ICCS but graded UNC Detail (cleaned) by PCGS hard hit on me I was hoping for a MS-63 grade I never thought it was cleaned at all I guess I got some more studying to do on how to detect as cleaned coin
Valued Member
Canada
375 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's the evidence that the coin has been cleaned? Microscopic in nature maybe?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
689 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. guess I got some more studying to do on how to detect as cleaned coin

Do remember, PCGS can be wrong as well. I'm looking at this piece and nothing says "cleaned" to me. And considering PCGS quite often straight grades cleaned coins this could be a case of a new employee who hasn't "learned" to grade the " PCGS way".
Valued Member
Canada
375 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Numis-Northerner - agreed. I have yet to submit anything to PCGS but I'm told that they have less expensive and more expensive grading services....the more you pay the higher the level of expertise you get. Or something like that.

To me, that does not look cleaned, though I'm still learning the ropes in copper and bronze..... much harder than silver!
Valued Member
Canada
191 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sergiomomesso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS can be a homerun or a big loss, on this coin I think the details of the obverse versus the lack of luster could be a sign of a early cleaning. The remaining red luster is a little bit disturbed, on the truview picture with a pretty good zoom I can see a lot of bagmarks but also some line that could be from a brush or something like this... Still a wonderful coin!

(only my opinion)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3195 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A little off topic on the 1891, but I knew a PCGS grader who was there for a few years. He said that the time spent by a grader was less than 15 seconds and averaged about 11/12 seconds. Now, it normally goes thru more than one grader, but to pay that amount of money for less than 30 seconds is a HUGE hourly rate to the customer. You ever wonder how any TPG tends to miss some things and is way off on the grade?
Valued Member
Canada
191 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sergiomomesso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
okiecoiner : Wow, thats pretty fast... They surely miss a lot of thing, thanks for the info
Pillar of the Community
United States
978 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jim - I looked at the higher resolution Truviews for this coin on the PCGS site and did not see any hairlines. I am guessing it was a coloration thing that made them suspicious. Your 1882H DDO was more obviously off-color. My condolences on the two grades. - Rob
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1599 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the thumbs up for this coin, I never thought it was a cleaned coin. It could have been the off colour liked mentioned Rob still a very nice coin in hand I would have liked a grade other than Detailed but I'm ok with it. The 82 I thought was a cleaned coin and it come back as cleaned but I'm ok with it as well it was a nice grade given but cleaned. The 98 I wasn't to sure what way it would go it was an odd colour with it as well but unc detail as well out of the 8 coins I sent in 3 come back cleaned. I'll keep the cleaned ones as is and use them for guidance coins for studying cleaned coins
Pillar of the Community
United States
978 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are a gambler, crack out the 91 and sent it back to them.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 546Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05