Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2015 Louisiana Quarter ! Why Does It Look Like This?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 398Next Topic  

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2020  02:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Trebest to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2020  03:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Trebest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
United States
36500 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2020  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Looks like a VLDS=very late die state and or DDD=die deterioration doubling. Both are forms of a worn out die being overused.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
17731 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2020  05:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tre, first welcome to CCF. Second, yes those striations are often a sign that the die that struck this coin was tired. I wonder if you could also post the weight of this coin? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47430 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2020  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They can even get worse as the dies are used even longer:
SBA dollar:

Note how the straight look devices wider even more as it get closer to the rims?

1982-D Quarter dollar reverse:

1982-D obverse quarter:

1984-P Nickel:

2001-P Washington quarter:

I have a lot more images, but I think I've made my point.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17044 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2020  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop, the image of the full rev of the SBA dollar also shows a pretty good example of Progressive Indirect Design Transfer (PIDT) A little unusual to see that on a thick coin.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47430 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2020  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably also the Halos on the JKK halves as well. Never made that connection before.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Learn More...
United States
92401 Posts
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2020  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin searching to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very educational. thanks.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Trebest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry havent been on but I'll weigh quarter and post
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 398Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05