Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Identification: India, Princely States, Awadh ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 721Next Topic  

Ireland
11 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2020  1:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add abbeym to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
any assistance in id of this gold coin.
thanks in advance
MIKE

Pillar of the Community
United States
1090 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2020  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does resemble a variety from Awadh, but there are others that can you better than I can.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1504 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2020  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What does this coin weigh?
United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2020  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CAM68 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks similar to this Mohur from Oudh:

https://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotv...38efe9f5aff4
Pillar of the Community
United States
1504 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2020  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It most certainly resembles a Ashrafi from adawh, with stars instead of dots, but I cannot make out the last digit of the date and I believe there is a reginal year somewhere which I also cannot see. The weight carries a bit on these coins but I wanted to be sure it was in the range.
Ireland
11 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2020  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add abbeym to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

THANKS FOR ALL ASSISTANCE. Much appreciated.
revised scans attached.
Weight 10.7 grms.
m c
Pillar of the Community
United States
1504 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2020  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good news, it's in the range, though I think I would still be tempted to get it tested. Bad news, the last number still doesn't make sense to me and I still cannot find a good match. I think @cam68 has gotten the ruler correct and the first 3 numbers in the date are 126_AH.
Learn More...
United States
17733 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2020  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@gc, while the ruler name might no longer be a match, any thought on whether the date could be AH 1206? Not doubting @cam68's attribution, but rather just thinking that sometimes I've seen AH dates with the zero not present but rather assumed.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1504 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2020  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose it's possible, but that early they would have to been under the Muhgal Emperor still. I don't think they struck coins in the Nawab's name until 1819. My best guess was it was part of a Nine. There is a regnal year of 5 above the right mermaid.
Edited by Gincoin43
09/09/2020 9:52 pm
Learn More...
United States
17733 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2020  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok yes fair enough. Thx for the detailed explanation.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1504 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a sideways 7

Mint is: "Bait al-Sultanat Lakhnau Mulk Awadh Akhtarnagar"

Under Wajid 'Ali Shah(Nice job CAM)

Dated AH1267/Ry.5

At your weight the denomination should be 1 Ashrafi (Mohur)
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 721Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05