Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1808 Batavia Republic (Dutch) - Doubled Die - Insane Error Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 552Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
79 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2020  1:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thegrendel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Bought it on eBay. Listed as a Class V doubled die (pivoted hub doubling). Looks like a legit doubled die to me, not a double strike because not all fields are doubled.

I've never seen or heard of anything like this. Doubling is beyond dramatic, even wider than 1955/55 cent. And ... and there is doubling on both obverse and reverse. Totally crazy.
Reverse looks like it may be an off center strike as well.

*** Edited by Staff to remove non-family freindly content. ***

Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2020  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thegrendel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Denomination of coin is "1/2 Duit" - whatever that means.

---

A thought on the "rarity" of this error.
I tried looking up the mintage of this coin. No mintage listed, but likely only a few tens of thousands, which would be consistent with the recorded mintage of the nearest date of this denomination. So ... there were likely only a handful of working dies for this coin in total, maybe even as few as two or three. Therefore, this double die error may comprise a significant fraction of all the coins of this date and denomination minted, maybe as much as 1/3 or even 1/2. So, rarity is relative. Surviving population of this error? Anyone's guess.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1543 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2020  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That coin looks to be stuck twice, not a double die. A duit was worth 2 penning, there were 160 duits to a Gulden. These coins were actually only circulated in the dutch east indies. Batavia was the capital of the Dutch East Indies an corresponds to modern day Jakarta.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2020  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thegrendel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
>> *** Edited by Staff to remove non-family freindly content. *** <<

I don't understand this. Don't recall that the original post had any offensive content.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1543 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2020  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No se seņor, but I will add that the Batavian republic ceased to be in 1806.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4604 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks double struck to me. Very cool!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. varieties and errors
Valued Member
Netherlands
493 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Double Struck coin..
If I remember well these dies were all made by hand and not 'copied' with a machine..
So doubled die is not possible in my opinion..
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thegrendel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
>> If I remember well these dies were all made by hand and not 'copied' with a machine.. <<

If the dies were hand punched, then there is the possibility that a die or dies could have been double punched, i.e., hammer jitter by the hand holding the punch. I would consider this to be equivalent to hub doubling, and equally collectible. The only way to definitively settle this would be to depose the mint employees, and this is somewhat impractical.
Valued Member
Netherlands
493 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They were hand cut..

I look-up this coin in my book from: Scholten,C. - The coins of the Dutch Overseas Territories

There are 19 different dies known.. it's a book from 1951 maybe even more are now known..

Sorry but I'm 100% sure that this coin is double struck..

Obv & rev were struck at the same time.. You can see that perfect on your coin..
Valued Member
Netherlands
493 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found the listing on Ebay..
It were indead listed as Doubled die.. (not class 5, it were his code at the end of the title)

The seller is also from the Netherlands, and I noticed that only very few Dutch collectors understand what a doubled die is..

I bet if you ask the seller if he can explain what a doubled die is, he will tell you "struck twice"..
Edited by Sander
11/01/2020 1:04 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 552Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05