Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 IHC Grade This Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 466Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2020  11:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've had this 1909 IHC in my little coin collection since I was a kid in 1970. How would you grade this one? (I know I need to improve my photos.) The reverse seems to show wear on the high points or could this be corrosion from the 1950 Wayte Raymond coin folder/album? (This antique folder has only obverse view with an acetate cover. So the reverse is against the paper.) I wanted to show that the reverse still has a lot of mint state luster in the fields.
Edited by EDM
09/04/2020 11:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5641 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2020  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"UNC details" would be my guess. The obverse almost looks like it has been cleaned or wiped.

It would be a lot more appealing if both sides matched in texture and color.

Still a nice coin!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36514 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2020  04:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14329 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2020  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-55-58 Details , most of the rub and friction is on the reverse .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19862 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2020  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it is a great Unc coin.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52226 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2020  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, the obverse seems to lack luster and was likely cleaned at some point.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3604 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2020  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Am I seeing doubling on the obverse or do I need to get my prescription checked?

And yeah, AU58 IMO. Those rubs on the reverse knock it out of MS I think.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2020  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin is so shiny except for the "rubbed" surfaces on the reverse. Is it possible the coin has a coating of varnish or coating of some kind? The reason I ask is because there is a fleck of the same type of "rub" on the reverse in the area above "O" in "ONE" and also in the area next to the rim on the left and upper left I see what appears as if tiny fibers are caught in a coating? Should I try soaking this coin in acetone to see what happens?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14329 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2020  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go ahead , Acetone will not harm the coin . With that sheen on reverse and not on obverse , you might have something there .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
505 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2020  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it just me, or do the diamonds look to be re-engraved?
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 466Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05