Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Curious Of A Grade On 1852 Braided Hair Large Cent.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 317Next Topic  
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  12:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kh351999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey ya'll! Found this listed on eBay and snagged it for a total of $30. The pictures didn't do it justice so when it came, I saw it was in way better condition than it seemed on eBay. Wanted to get into grading coins soon with PCGS, so I was wondering if this is a good candidate. After comparing with PCGS's Photo grade tool and using the info listed on this website for this specific coin, my guess for the grade is AU 55 BN, but I would love and really appreciate some second opinions! Thanks for your time!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2510 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  12:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coin has AU sharpness but has been cleaned. The reverse also looks like the rims have been damaged. If your coin was original and was in this shape without problems you never would have been able to get it for $30. Would have been around $100.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17298 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaned many decades ago, and long since thickly patinated over. The patina has protected it, and it is now possible to handle it, just like an ancient bronze coin, without the slightest risk of fingerprinting.
EF-45, with an attractive, glossy chocolate patina.
Pillar of the Community
United States
911 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  02:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice one but not worth the cost of grading
Pillar of the Community
United States
3606 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  03:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Xf details cleaned. Not worth grading.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50541 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to see pics of this coin without the flash effects.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsInVT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm curious why people are saying this is cleaned. I'm not seeing the typical swirls or lines that would normally show on a cleaned coin. The field marks I'm seeing aren't anything that would raise a flag for me as something other than typical marring from a moderately circulated coin that's this old. Is it because of the rim damage vs the condition of the rest of the coin?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2510 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the color does not look right to me. Thats why I think its been messed with.
Pillar of the Community
United States
940 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jon Brand to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Color is off. Not sure if its been cleaned but id give it "questionable color". AU details IMO. For a non MS coin its those oily colors that make it not look right. Should just be brown. But I agree with Frog, that different photos can help.
View Collection: jbknifeandcoin.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
7324 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's cleaned also, maybe not enough to get a details for that alone, the rim damage would do it or the staple scratch on the obverse. I'd also say most coins of this era and earlier have probably been cleaned, not harshly, but soaked or dipped in something to remove grime. Many have recolored or been recolored, there are products that can do this fairly easy, some even over the counter at coin shops. I don't want to start a discussion on that though. Does the coin have an odor? Smell like cigar or Sulphur? That is a sure sign the coin is recolored. Other techniques use heat, or just time. It is possible to speed up normal toning to bring back the look of old copper, maybe not ethical, but done often by coin doctors.

Buy early copper from a known copper seller and you'll do fine in the long run, there are many good dealers in this field. Just ask if you need some leads.

Oh the grade? EF40 details - EAC grade NET 25
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
09/18/2020 2:41 pm
Valued Member
United States
101 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say AU details.
Centsearcher.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 317Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05