Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Weight And Dimension Of An Australia 50 Cents Elizabeth II 1966 Ag 0.8 Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 300Next Topic  

Singapore
23 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  05:18 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coins Mania to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi there,

I got conflicting information regarding this coin from different source. Is thickness 2.55mm or 2mm?

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces6761.html
Weight 13.28 g
Diameter 31.5 mm
Thickness 2.55 mm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austr...ty-cent_coin
Mass 13.28 g
Diameter 31.51 mm
Thickness 2.00 mm

Also my piece diameter is 31.5mm, thickness is 2mm and weighs between 13.4g ~ 13.5g (my weighing scale only 1 dec pls). Why is it slightly heavier?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1322 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  05:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numista is correct, I would trust them over Wikipedia any day.

3 of these coins contain One ounce of silver.

They are dirt common with some 36.5 million minted and have only bullion value even in Gem Uncirculated condition, most are AU or better.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17278 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would guess that well over half of them have been sold back to bullion and coin dealers and thence re melted and refined.
Nevertheless, they are still very common, although highly collectible. I have about a dozen of them, all uncirculated MS- 60 or better.

Just measured one of my examples with a vernier caliper.
2.0 mm rim thickness. Field to field thickness in from the rim towards the center of the coin would be less than that.
Singapore
23 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coins Mania to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sel_691
How about the weight? Could you measure a few of them?

Would SGD10 consider a bargain?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2516 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would SGD10 consider a bargain?

At current silver rate, yes that is a bargain.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 14,500 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Valued Member
Australia
107 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add squaremealroundplate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hi all

Yes, the 1966 round 50c are still quite easy to get in Ch UNC. I've handled many hundreds of them since they were released, with the ones without the double bars being the more difficult ones to find in Ch UNC condition.

You might be interested in the eye popping price a few Double Bars ones sold for on eBay last month # 202908457384
Singapore
23 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coins Mania to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before I buy more of these.
My weighing scale shows this piece 13.4g / 13.5g
But Numista sources say 13.28g
Is that normal?
Singapore
23 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  03:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coins Mania to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Borrow a scale from someone. Measured 13.41g, strange about the coin? Supposing 13.28g is standard.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1546 Posts
Singapore
23 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coins Mania to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is deviation from standard weight as such mine is 1% heavier cause by poor quality control?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1546 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure what the tolerances are but I believe the planchets were made at the Royal Australian Mint and it was their first year of producing coins so it could have been that they were still getting it right.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 300Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05