Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1943 Canadian War Penny With Unique Laser Beam Lamination

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 373Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  7:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add up coin creek to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi folks, I am a new member and would love to get any feedback on this Canadian 1943 penny with a King George "Laser beam eye" lamination and die chipping. Thanks!

Edited by up coin creek
09/16/2020 8:12 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35547 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Better focus and a pic of the other side. Might be a struck through debris.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add up coin creek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Thanks for the feedback I am trying to post full pictures!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3054 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like a de lamination to me.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
771 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a lamination error partially retained. At some point in its life the retained piece folded over. cool find.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4593 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The location makes it a cool lamination.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add up coin creek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the interesting information! I did not realize the retained piece was folded over, as I am a new collector and your help is much appreciated!
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A nice lamination error,
Valued Member
Canada
468 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  01:05 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Non non, mon ami, surely it is the blade of a dagger !? The attack was so vicious that the handle broke off. There is the case of the "Royal Slasher" from 1955, where I was lucky enough to find the victim and save it, but no one knew that the Royal Slasher, sacre bleu, was a serial killer ! And 12 years between attacks ! I fear this rogue may have inflicted such madness on others ! Be vigilant !

http://goccf.com/t/371178&SearchTerms=dagger

(Guess who's been reading Agatha Christie books recently)

Edited by TerryT
09/17/2020 01:08 am
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add up coin creek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A dagger! now that is a new angle! Now when I look at this coin, I see a dagger with some history. thanks for the fun feedback!

Learn More...
United States
90125 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
771 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

right in the eye!
Valued Member
Canada
468 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  02:07 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After seeing that there are 3 nearly identical "lamination" errors, I'm changing my mind. It looks to me that the planchet was damaged BEFORE the strike. It could be anything from when the metal sheets are rolled down to planchet thickness to the feeder mechanism feeding the planchets to the dies.
They are too similar to be a poor mix of metals, the shape is the virtually the same for all 3, and there is a bit of extra metal at the wide end of each, which is from something hard gouging out the shape. Not your average lamination.
(small detour) There are many coins with parallel lines that we have been calling lamination errors that may be pre-strike damage. 2 of my woody cents have "laminations" parallel with, and being woodgrain lines. (end of detour)

So, there I was thinking I had a unique error, so did up-coin-creek and I bet Robmck1967 did too. I've had mine for at least 40 years and then there are 3 in 3 days, amazing !
Edited by TerryT
09/19/2020 02:31 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 373Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 12.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05