Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2003 P State Quarter Clad Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 278Next Topic  

United States
19 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  10:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mavx31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

Is this a clad error? Or natural or fabricated damage? It is weighing at 5.8 grams if my scale is correct. Your opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you for looking!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3555 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks as if someone plated your quarter in cooper. No clad layer on the edges, it's all cooper. You can tell it's plated (opposed to solid cooper) by seeing the silver showing through on the rims. Why? Probably a high school science experiment. A neat curiosity, but numismatically, no premium I'm afraid.

to the CCF!

ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10902 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  02:15 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That would be a little overweight for a clad quarter, so it must be altered as suggested. Missing clad would make it much lighter.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2300 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  09:12 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

It does look plated. A coin with both clad layers missing is almost impossibly rare, but a few are known to exist. Missing clad is usually on one side or the other and reduces the weight of the coin. A quarter with a missing clad layer should weigh about 4.67 grams or about 1 gram less than the normal 5.67 grams of a normal quarter.

A solid copper quarter from improperly prepared coin stock is possible, but again it would be incredibly rare.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

United States
19 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mavx31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much all for the responses.

Yoko, as you mentioned I know it would be rare if it was improperly prepared coin stock, but is there anything further I could do to verify before writing this one off besides sending in. Thank you
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46202 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like on the rim, the copper (Not cooper) on the 'E' on the EPU peeled off there. So it might be a coating on the coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mavx31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. I do agree coop. Now that I'm looking at that closer. Well, I think that's pretty difinitive. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1136 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A clad quarter weights 5.670. if it's missing one of the "nickel" sides it loses about a gram of weight, if it's missing both sides it loses about 2 grams.

you can see nickel and copper on the close ups of the reeded edge between the reedings, in the valleys. Someone, for some reason, bronzed this quarter possibly though electroplating, I think the spots on the reverse rim and the obverse above the T in states is where he makes the wire contact to complete the circuit. the little vallies were likely blocked by small trapped air bubbles form the solution. suggesting a novice plater, messing around and learning. he also goes a little light on it. looks like he touched the reverse twice with the wires and the obverse once.

Maybe used a bronze Wheat cent as the anode, and the quarter as the cathode..... hard to say, looks like a do it yourself job though, not a sample piece from a plating business.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
09/18/2020 2:39 pm
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mavx31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Big! Yeah, whomever did this had some time on their hands! I knew something was wrong when I weighed it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 278Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05