Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1955 Double-Die Lincoln (Does This Qualify)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 347Next Topic  

United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  2:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Beware_Of_Doug to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dusted off an old Lincoln Cent collection and the space for 1955 Double-Die had this coin in it.

Definately not a classic Double-Die but it does look thicker than my normal 1955 coin which has the date thin and sharp.

What is you opinion? Does this count as a Double-Die?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1306 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The word "count" is making me think you might want to read up on what a doubled (not "double") die actually is. A coin either is or it is not a doubled die, and a doubled die variety can be incredibly minor. It's not a matter of "counting." This is certainly not DDO-001, but there are many other known doubled dies for 1955. I suggest comparing your coin against the listings on Variety Vista, Wexler's die varieties, and coppercoins.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beware_Of_Doug to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks Sam.....i will get started on my homework
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47251 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normal die wear on a die is most of the time towards the direction of the closest rim on the coin. On yours they call this the poor man's doubled die. It is not a doubled die, just a case of die wear. This happened a lot on the 1950's wheat cents and they used the dies way past normal retirement. So if you bought all of these you could find and paid a premium for them, you would be :"The poor man" when you went to sell them. They are worth Three Cents each. Toss them into your Wheat cent pile:
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Show us pictures front and back cropped. Are those die cracks running through Lincoln's head?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2004 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking cracked skull.
United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  04:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beware_Of_Doug to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the uncropped photos. I think most of the marks on the head are scratches, but there might be crack on the head just above the ear going to the top of the head. If it is a crack is not a great example.

Many thanks for your comments.

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 347Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05