Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1935 S Texas Commemorative Half...worth Grading? Opinions Please...

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 964Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  7:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add WeBeRolling to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all, I posted some "online" pics of this coin in the 2x2 a couple days ago well I finally have the coin in hand and here are clean fresh pics.
I have also included a couple side by sides of the finest known MS68 (of which I think they're may be 8 of them but idk) mine is the one that looks like gold and obviously not slabbed lol
I love the detail and being a low mintage of only 10,000 I had to get it. Got it for a good price too...let me hear those opinions and expertise please and thank you!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Edited by WeBeRolling
09/18/2020 8:11 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51233 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Takes awhile to sort out these pics, but I'll say MS-66 on yours.
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WeBeRolling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coinfrog! Got a little excited and carried away so I just simplified a little hopefully.
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
66 also.
Centsearcher.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9047 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were mine, I would have that beautiful Texas graded. Often times you see worn noses (or perhaps they are weakly struck) on Austin and Houston.
That is one sharp looking coin.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4426 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  07:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice looking example. I am with TNG about getting it graded.
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36034 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WeBeRolling,
Got your PM. I am not good at grading,but it does look like it would make a MS66,but not higher. In the side-by-side,the one slabbed might have been over graded...just a thought. If the retail value slabbed is at least $150 it might be worth having it slabbed by PCGS,if you add the cost you paid for the coin and all costs involved in sending it in is less than $150.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
09/19/2020 08:52 am
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WeBeRolling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great thank for all the replies and thanks John1 for the input. I will be sending off and maybe I'll get lucky and catch them on a good day. Will update when it comes back.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19674 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sort of am waiting to see results of grading system.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WeBeRolling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah me too, it's going in the mail today! I think it's got a good chance at MS68 or maybe better idk. All the other "finest known" examples are struck very weak and mine has the detail....we'll see. I will post when it comes back. I really value all your opinions and can't say thanks enough for all I've learned on here from y'all.
Edited by WeBeRolling
09/19/2020 9:46 pm
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WeBeRolling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BUMP- Sent off a few weeks ago and....coming back from NGC UNC Details Cleaned...I am at a loss for words and money...uggghhh I wouldn't have guessed cleaned at all. The detail is amazing and I missed all signs of cleaning...
Pillar of the Community
United States
749 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are there any tell tale signs that a coin has been cleaned? Just by sending it in?
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WeBeRolling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not that I could see? I even put it under the scope and saw nothing. It has some toning compared to others on the pics but looked great out of the 2x2, idk and NGC gives no explanation. Very disappointed. I thought at least one member on here would've picked up on it being cleaned if it had been...
Edited by WeBeRolling
10/20/2020 8:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4701 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very disappointed. I thought at least one member on here would've picked up on it being cleaned if it had been...

Criticizing folks who tried to help you is not, IMO, the best approach.

Grading coins from images can be very difficult due to lighting variations and camera angles. Picking up on cleanings can also be difficult.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the scruffy appearance of the coin's obverse fields (as seen in your first image) are what NGC picked up. Even with the less than optimal lighting used, many straight lines can be seen on the coin's surface - such lines are not part of its design and could have easily come from a past wiping/cleaning.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
689 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Commem's comments, but I also am a bit shocked to see that anyone had such certain opinions on this piece, the photos, though nice, and quite lacking in the light quality, and the coin itself looks washed out. Not to mention I can, almost as clear as day see some light scuffing from these photos. Even if straight graded, this coin to me looks like one that would MAYBE grade MS-61, though I was originally thinking AU something with a light cleaning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
749 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a case of hindsight being 20/20. Too bad an explanation isn't given as to why NGC gave it that designation but I guess if you start doing that more people would know what to look for and less coins would get submitted.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 964Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05