Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

An Interesting Find - A Diadumenian Fouree Denarius

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 252Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2587 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  12:58 pm Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently purchased a nice group of ancient coins on eBay specifically to get this one coin.

It is an AE fouree denarius of Diadumenian, the son of Emperor Macrinus (217-218 AD). All of his denarii are rare coins and I found a VCoins listing for another fouree where the seller says that fourees of Diadumenian are rare.

Here's that listing:

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/ro...Default.aspx

The style looks pretty good. The coin weighs 2.50 grams, which is about half a gram under a typical specimen, so I am going with it being a nicely toned AE fouree and not a silver denarius with a thick patina.

I thought I'd share it with the group. It is based on a PRINC IVVENTVTIS reverse with depiction of Diadumenian holding a scepter and standard, with two standards to his right (RIC, Vol. IV, Part 1, #102).

Paul Bulgerin
Edited by Paul Bulgerin
09/20/2020 12:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5261 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps both yours and the VCoins example are Limes denarii rather than fouree cores? I see no evidence of silver plating on either. For comparison, searching on "Diadumenian" and "limes" at ACsearch.info:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.ht...eur&company=
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2587 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it certainly could be a limes denarius.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
3225 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would classify it as 'limes' especially as it has a great olive green patina without any of the corrosion or surface blemishes associated with fouree
Since all the Imperial bronzes of Macrinus and Diadumenian are rare it is a good find
After 45 years I am still looking for a Diadumenian
I better get moving !
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2587 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the lot it came from. There were a number of very nice coins in the group.

I agree, it is a limes and not a fouree. I'm continuing to research the coin.

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
1061 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Debasement during the Severan period seems to have made the silver plating of counterfeits less necessary. High-tin bronze probably looked "white enough" when new and the process was simpler than that used to produce fourrées.
Edited by Kushanshah
09/22/2020 01:33 am
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3236 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There were a number of very nice coins in the group.
Probably very expensive though!

The lower right coin is a 17th century Swedish Livonia issue, which looks a bit weird next to all the Romans. I wonder what's the origin of the group.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 252Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05