Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grading Tips For US Large Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 466Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
191 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  4:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sergiomomesso to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This week I'm going to meet a friend and see his collection of large cent. I'm training my eyes to be better with graded coins. Under EF it is pretty hard. I will buy the EAC book to help me with all the tones and stuff but for now, do you got some tricks, some high points on the cent to look for wear?

from 1800 to 1856

Thank you!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1647 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link to PCGS photograde for the Braided Hair series. Others are there as well. Hope this will get you started.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2212 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm an EAC member and EAC grading is much stricter than grading by the major grading companies like PCGS Photograde. Just keep that in mind as you determine values of large cents.
Member ANA and EAC

"You got to lose to know how to win".
Dream On by Aerosmith
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19674 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My only advice is don't. By that I mean don't get involved in those Large Cents. I did and wow are they tuff to get to know. There must be a zillion different ones out there. I don't think I'll ever get a even close to complete collection of those things. If you do, good luck because that is what you'll need, a lot of luck.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51233 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EAC members set the pace for auction results for top-grade large cents. Don't let these stratospheric numbers put you off from collecting mid-grade examples of this wonderful series.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I l o v e large cents ! My first old coin found detecting was an 1847 largie ! Sorry about the caps, anyways , my favorite find also is an 1803 lg. Cent ( Small date-large fraction) !

*** Edited by Staff to remove YELLING. All capital letters is the internet version of yelling. Please do not do it in titles or posts. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
7334 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  02:09 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If your interest in Large Cents stays strong, then consider joining the EAC http://eacs.org/ we always love new members and have some of the best researchers in numismatics.

As your quest for knowledge grows consider the ultimate book on grading Early Copper Coins and the official grading guide of the EAC. http://eacs.org/books-and-resources...ading-guide/ There are some dealers that still have copies but it sold out from the EAC directly last I was aware in 2016. Copies pop up on eBay and in Pennywise issues occasionally as well as some dealer sites like Frisco Mint.

It's a fantastic book lots of thought and research by the top copper minded collectors went into writing it. I came to it from the Noyes Penny Pricing guide and the Robinson Copper Quotes editions. I also joined the EAC right around the year before it was begun as a club book project, so getting to see much of the research being bantered back and forth between member more experienced collectors than I, on the club's secret online site and Region 8 mailing list was pretty neat. Getting a copy in hand finally I was really pleased with how much information they put into the book.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
Canada
191 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sergiomomesso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im trying to collect early coppers and also other denomination but it is hard in canada. It is a canadian market so I don't see a lot of coins in person, wich is kinda sad!

Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  03:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry all, wasn't yelling . Just had caps locked by accident .
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  03:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey hello . I live in New England in Connecticut State . Been Collecting Largies for over 20 years . Maybe I can Help .
The Rarest colonial I ever held was a " Higley Copper" https://geology.com/articles/higley...ining.shtml".
Like I said, I live in Connecticut and a club friend found, yes found a Higley somewhere in Granby CT. The birthplace of his truly Samuel Higley. It was slabbed and given a G6 grade details.
Edited by SensibleSal66
09/26/2020 03:18 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7334 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2020  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few years ago I found this website that while it looks really low-end and out of date design wise, it is full of great information and photos of many rare and desirable colonial and early coinage and currency to illustrate the research their pages provide. Enjoy!

https://coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/index.html
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 466Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05