Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Detection: 1894-O Morgan Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 382Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  10:22 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
NGC - In places, the strike actually appears too strong on this fake, which may have been struck using laser-created dies.

Read More: Counterfeit Detection Series.

The common saying "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is" can definitely be applied to numismatics. Certainly, there are exceptional survivors of rare vintage issues that somehow escaped mishandling since their striking, but the buyer must always beware. NGC graders recently spotted this counterfeit 1894-O Morgan with a much-better-than-average strike, especially for an O-Mint Morgan dollar.

Counterfeit 1894-O Morgan Dollar

At first glance, this coin appears to be an extremely expensive high-grade 1894-O Morgan Dollar—a coin that the NGC Price Guide values at $50,000 in MS 65. However, just a slightly closer look reveals some odd issues. The surfaces do not look like a genuine Morgan dollar, and the 9 in the date stands out from the other digits. Lastly, the obverse strike of the coin is much better than expected on a New Orleans minted Morgan dollar.

Genuine 1894-O Morgan Dollar

Read the Entire Article
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51307 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good read, thanks. Glad I don't collect expensive Morgans.
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
9393 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad I can't afford to collect expensive Morgans.
1883-O Nut
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Glad I can't afford to collect expensive Morgans.
Agreed, even more.

If I could afford that I would opt to invest this hypothetical money into a more impressive type set.
Pillar of the Community
United States
553 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oof. $50k! Hope nobody actually bought that counterfeit.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2671 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The counterfiet has a 78 or 21 arrow feather.

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 382Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05