Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

GSA Morgans TPG Recommendations

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 579Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
188 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  06:03 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hunter611 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
I'd appreciate your recommendation on which TPG to submit GSA Morgans; I've read NGC in other post but would appreciate confirmation. Thanks in advance.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4902 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the way I understand it (wait for other responses that will correct me if I made a mistake).

1. GSA Morgans in their original holders appear to get a slight premium over the same coin if removed from the holder.
2. NGC used to (and probably still does) leave the coin in the holder and grade that way with a label wrapping the whole holder.
3. PCGS removes the coin from the GSA holder. I don't know if they indicate in the label that it was a GSA coin (I suspect not).
4. I don't know about ANACS.
5. If you remove the coin from the holder the GSA association has been eliminated.

The grade of the coin should not be affected by whomever does the grading.

Now wait for others to chime in.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Edited by kanga
09/22/2020 08:42 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3501 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  09:02 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ANACS designates and Grades GSA dollars as well .
Pillar of the Community
United States
9386 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ANACS adds a sticker both top and bottom that wraps the GSA case to make it tamper proof similar to NGC with their strap.
PCGS will place the GSA case in a larger case and sonically weld it like their standard holders. In my opinion this is the way to go if storage space is not an issue. It adds an extra layer of protection from the outside environment.
Any of the TPGs will remove your coin(s) from the GSA case if you request so but I'm not sure if they will reference the GSA provenance on the label (someone at least used to) but as Kanga noted there is a slight premium for coins graded in the GSA case.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
1002 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why would anyone want to remove the coin from the GSA holder?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2397 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Encasing a hard plastic case in another hard plastic case seems like overkill for protecting a coin. I think what NGC and ANACS do makes sense, keeping it in the original GSA holder and sealing it with a label.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4902 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why would anyone want to remove the coin from the GSA holder?

Personal preference.
Same as why some people keep their coins in TPG slabs and others crack them out.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1082 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would go either NGC or ANACS. ANACS is certainly the more cost effective route to go and if you happen to have Buffalo ni in need of grading they're running their promotion. 10 Buffs for $80 and GSA Morgan's are $5 each with the submission of 10 Buffs.
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter611 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there any advantage of NGC vs ANACS when selling GSA Morgans?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2397 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC might bring more, but whether it covers the $20-25 difference in grading costs is uncertain.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3501 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just sold an MS65 ANACS 1883 CC GSA for MORE than NGC guide!
Just saying , but anyone who has been submitting Dollars to ANACS
In the last year or so knows how Conservative they have been
recently . They are doing as good a job as either NGC or PCGS .
Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think NGC grades these higher in general then the other 2 TPGs.
ANACS is on par with PCGS and NCG IMO.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8126 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC is the standard for GSA Morgans, so I would go with them.
Sets in progress... Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16970 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
3. PCGS removes the coin from the GSA holder.

You can have it done either way, removed and placed in a normal slab with GSA on the label, or having the entire GSA holder encapsulated. If the holder is encapsulated it will no longer fit in the GSA box. The holders with NGC or ANACS sticked will fit back in the original boxes.

Quote:
Encasing a hard plastic case in another hard plastic case seems like overkill for protecting a coin.

It's not for protecting the coin, it's for protecting the GSA holder from damage, the GSA holder protects the coin. Frankly the NGC and ANACS stickers damage the GSA holder.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1687 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2020  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding the question "Quote:
Why would anyone want to remove the coin from the GSA holder?"
I remember around 1985 or 1986 going to a Long Beach Coin Show and at the end of the day there were trash cans filled with cracked open GSA holders, the boxes and the certificates. It was the first big show I had been to where the new grading service " PCGS" had set up and people were turning in GSA CC Morgan dollars by the dozens hoping to get high MS grades so they could ask for a premium price for the coin. Only years later did it become clear that they were worth more in the GSA holder and it was many years after that that NGC started grading them in the GSA holder, a huge step in the right direction as far as I am concerned.
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2020  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter611 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your replies. In general at what grade is it worth-considering having common date GSA morgans graded? Thanks
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 579Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05