Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Peace 1922 D VAM Trouble, Can't Identify

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2008  7:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gormang to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I have this 1992 D Peace dollar and I have looked through all the
VAMs for that date on Vamworld and I can't seem to find a match.
There are several that are close but not exact.
1N, 2F, 2G, 2AL are all close but not the same.

Here is what I see:

There is a die crack from the I in Liberty curving down through the L and further down through the IN of In God We, then ending at the rim below the G

There is another die crack that starts at the above die crack midway between the L and IN, this one goes to the G and stops.

Another die crack starts at the right-bottom of N (IN GOD WE) and proceeds to the shoulder above the 9.

another die crack starts just above the previous die crack and touches the top-left of the first T in TRVST and ends at the hair in back.

there is a small die crack inside the L of Liberty to the rim.

And the last one starts at the ray right of E of Liberty , goes through the R and splits ending at the T and the rim.

Thank you,
gormang

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1013 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2008  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the same crack that's in the P this probably isn't related but have a look at the VAM 2 BB Philli mint regards Harry
Edited by nuggethill
11/26/2008 8:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2008  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
gormang, unfortunately nothing jumps out at me on this coin. Although interesting cracks, none appear to have a die break present, thus meaningless. You have to be careful on Vamworld as the term 'cracks' is used rather loosely. Sometimes these cracks contain a die break and sometimes just used as a die marker. This can be easily seen on the 1N coin you mentioned. The crack itself means nothing, but the small break close to the rim is what was used to assign it a separate Vam#. Unless you can find something specific, doubling, die gouge or anything that looks odd, I would call this a VAM 1.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2845 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2008  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MorgansRmine, let me see if I am getting this, you are saying that because there are many things this coin brings to the table, die cracks apparently all over, you are saying this in and of itself is not an already attributed VAM, and you would feel safe calling it a VAM1, which we all know is the "normal" die for a normal struck 1922-d morgan?
I am thinking because it is not listed maybe, just maybe this is an unknown die state for an already known die, or maybe just an unknown die....w/e
PS: BE WELL, ENJOY YOUR THANKSGIVING, MORGANS DAD...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2008  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mike, What I'm saying, from the pictures offered, this coin brings nothing to the table. Cracks are very common and an accepted part of the coining process. None of these cracks appear to have reached the stage where a piece of the die breaks off leaving a widened area on the crack making it a die break. My opinion on this being a VAM 1 is based on two assumptions. 1. Nothing appears to be out of normal. 2. Lack of detail on the coin. Mostly on the tiara and hair on the obverse. VAM 2 is also a normal coin but tends to show better detail on the coin. gormang offers six die cracks, since chances are these didn't all occur at once, this VAM could possibly be found with just one crack, three cracks or even more than six, although all would be considered the same VAM.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05