Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1747 8 Reale Authentication Assistance Needed

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 219Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  2:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thecoinauthority to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, evaluating a collection of coins for possible purchase and among these was this 1747 8 Reales. I specialize in US, so identifying counterfeit markers on these is a little "foreign" to me. The coin weighs 26.1g but appears intact and otherwise matches most of the photos I have seen for this date. Can anyone provide some insight as to the authenticity of this coin? If genuine, what would you estimate for grade? Thanks in advance!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
951 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At 1.6 grams underweight with that much detail still left on the coin makes me wonder a bit about it's authenticity.
The details also look a bit mushy and not as crisp as they should be.
Other than that though it certainly looks real enough. I'd say a grade of XF-DETAILS CLEANED.
Edited by GMS5
09/24/2020 3:30 pm
Learn More...
United States
91256 Posts
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinauthority to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GMS5, thank you! Not sure if it makes much of a difference in your opinion, but I'm showing the original weight should be around 27.06g, so it would be a little under 1g underweight. I had also read where several of these were recovered in a shipwreck, so would the mushy details ever be attributed to exposure from something like this? I have no idea if this was a shipwreck coin or not, but just trying to cover all bases. Thanks again!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
951 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a shot of my Friends Rooswijk Shipwreck coin, and it looks much crisper on all the devices. Perhaps you could get it XRF'd and see what it's made of.

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinauthority to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, thanks for the help! I feel confident the coin is silver as it passes my "ping" test and definitely is not magnetic. If it's a fake, it seems like a pretty good one though. I'll have to see what my XRF options are and go from there.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1076 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
26.1 g is all you need to know -- it never would have left the mint at that low weight. Also we generally expect to see more dentils -- they were placed on the die to help prevent shaving of the edges along with the edge design. In addition I see several misshapen details -- compare to good quality pictures of certified examples and you should see what I mean.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 219Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05