Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1959 D Roosevelt Dime Die Break In Nostril?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 266Next Topic  

United States
20 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  5:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Aircraftmech01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Another uncirculated 1959 Denver Roosevelt that I'm having questions about. I'm leaning towards a die break but still a rookie at these things. Any thoughts?
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like a possible reed hit from another coin.
Edited by MOS0239
09/25/2020 6:06 pm
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aircraftmech01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would a reed hit cause the metal to be lifted? It can't be felt thru a surgical glove.
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would a reed hit cause the metal to be lifted?

No, I don't think so.

Quote:
It can't be felt thru a surgical glove.

So, that area is indented?
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aircraftmech01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Negative, It is raised up from the coin. It feels like extra metal or like the die had a crack in it and the metal filled the crack.
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Negative, It is raised up from the coin. It feels like extra metal or like the die had a crack in it and the metal filled the crack.

I don't know. You lost me now, sorry.
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aircraftmech01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should add that my grandfather purchased this role of dimes directly from the mint in 1959 or 1960 and the next one in line had the same marking but not as strong. Here is an image of it. Hopefully this can give more context.
Learn More...
United States
17348 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That last pic really looks like a die chip to me.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46595 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, it is a die chip. Note the aging of the die is showing flow lines on this coin. So it is a senior die, ready to be retired as soon as the machinist get to it.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1270 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very minor die chip. Not nearly large enough to add value.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
Learn More...
United States
17348 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed on the value @sc, but I think it is pretty cool that the OP has a whole roll of these showing slight evolution of the die chip.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 266Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05