Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identify This Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 560Next Topic  

Portugal
5 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  05:35 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cascais to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I found this coin in my garden. (I live in Portugal.) It is quite worn on one side and the other side has 4 "boxes", two of those boxes have a cross. Diameter app. 2cms

Please help in identifying it
Thank you
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3866 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This design is called a Jerusalem cross, and it is found on some silver Portuguese coins of the 17th to 19th centuries, but I cannot find one that matches your coin (which looks like copper?)
Portugal
5 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cascais to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would guess it's bronze or copper. Appears to be hammered as opposed to mold/minted (I'm a newbie so I hope those are the right terms:)!) as it has a very irregular shape. It is quite thin. After gently washing, with water only, there appears to be a different cross in one of the other boxes.

Living close to the shore near many Roman, Moorish and Templar ruins, I'm not even certain it is a Portuguese coin...

But thank you so much! The Jerusalem cross identification gives me a place to start.
Learn More...
United States
17446 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@cas, first welcome to CCF. Second, now that you can see some detail on the other side, can you please add a pic to this thread? It might help us with an identification. Thx. Finally, for now at least, you should hold off on any further cleaning.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Portugal
5 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cascais to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi and thanks for answering. The reverse side of the coin is still quite illegible and worn. Basically that one side in picture is all I have.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3866 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot to say ...

Here is something in bronze with the Jerusalem cross, hammered coinage, correct diameter. I am not sure it is a match.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces71406.html
Pillar of the Community
United States
1384 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to see the other side even if it is mostly blank, but I think with the cross being that thick Naples or Sicily is more likely than Cyprus. Under Felipe IV of Spain.

There is a Nice example of one I think is similar here:http://www.rhinocoins.com/ITALY/rna...FILIP42.HTML
Learn More...
United States
17446 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In addition to the Jerusalem cross, it looks like a crescent and star in the inscription. Or is that an old counterstamp maybe?

Added: can you please add the weight of this coin? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4441 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a lot of close ones in my references. What I do see immediately is the large cross separating the 4 smaller crosses is not angled but block. The coins I just reviewed from 1700 - 1900 has a large cross that is angled on the ends.

Quote:
Or is that an old counterstamp maybe?

Good question. I think we will certainly have much better idea if it is or not once we get a shot of the other side of the coin.
And now the commander in chief of the house is requiring my assistance. So good luck gents.
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
United States
5268 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kingdom of Naples, I would think.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4441 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kingdom of Naples

3 Cavalli - Felipe II
1568-1599
Looks very similar to this coin.
Learn More...
United States
91109 Posts
Portugal
5 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  03:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cascais to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much! All of you are so knowledgeable! Here is a picture of the reverse side of the coin. Possibly you can see something I do not. It is very blurry because there was very little that the camera could actually focus upon.

Obviously if Spanish, there are a great deal of possible connections seeing as we live in a coastal town. Naples a bit harder to connect, but then again it only adds to the mystery.

I will weigh the coin later today (need to borrow a friend's small scale since obviously the bathroom scale won't work!)

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3866 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice job @scopru!

Quote:
it looks like a crescent and star in the inscription

I had guessed that might be a cross and the first letters of a legend. Now that scopru has nailed it, we see the reverse legend is IN HOC SIGNO VINCES, so this is probably + I ....
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces26248.html
Portugal
5 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cascais to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks you, everyone! I never would have found this as the main cross and 4 smaller crosses are so off center on mine. Now the mystery of how it appeared in Cascais Portugal!

Many many Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4441 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Credit goes to Gincoin and BobL for their posts both pointing to Naples. I just took those "clues" and went a little deeper to something that looks like this coin. Team effort all around.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 560Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05