Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With A Die Clash

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 866Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2536 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  11:39 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this the same coin as discussed here? http://goccf.com/t/383203 If so, Mike Diamond posted that it's not the reverse/reverse 1999 LMC clash. I did the overlay to show it's not a match and I'm still not seeing it in these images either. This is the link to the error-ref coin http://www.error-ref.com/?s=mule+clash and this is the original overlay I did of the error-ref image.

@RW1010 Please understand, I'm not picking on you. I'm just trying to show you why I don't think this is the clash.
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a resource here on CC to guide us on how to compose an overlay for purposes of a die clash analysis?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2536 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@shantiom It's more of a Photoshop skill. I've been doing these for post over the last few years when someone has a coin that's possibly struck with clashed dies. If you have a clashed coin and want an overlay, just send me an email. I'll be happy to do a custom overlay for you. Oh, and to the CCF!
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Pillar of the Community
United States
551 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks samcoin petespockets55 yokozuna and shantiom. I really appreciate everyone's input on this coin. I'll be happy to post more pictures but I'm not sure they will be much better or confirm what can already be seen. Before I overload you with more pics let's start with what we have. I did not make or ask for the overlay of the die clash. That being said what are the chances of an almost exact match to the overlay. I feel if you don't see the match you don't want to see it or you're not looking hard enough. Although admittedly it's not the easiest to see the match is there if you know what to look for. I don't necessarily feel anyone is picking on me just not paying close attention to the details imo. I was hoping not to have to have a long winded explanation of the matches on these coins but looks like that is not possible so here they are. Its said the die was tilted so design transfer is localized to one side above United. Starting from the u in United at the top of the two legs of the u there are two lines that come together that look like a triangle. That's the a of America. On the left side of the u you can see the leg of the a coming out the side of the u. The tops of the n have two verticle lines that go all the way through the rim. Take a close look at the I. At the top if you look left and to the right you will see a semi circle on each side. That is the o in of. The left arm of t has the outer edge of the o coming out the top curved to the left. The right arm ot the t has a line going to the back of the e at 45 degrees. From the back of th e go straight down to the field where you will see a line connected to the corner of the e going straight down. Hopefully you made it reading this far. These markers are all there. Besides the rotation of the center of the Lincoln Memorial that match you have these markers in united to complete the overall picture. There should not be a rotated square area in the fields of the Memorial. I feel that these are not die polishing due to the exact match to the overlay. Once again I did not make the overlay yet it matches. That's hard to deny but everyone is entitled to an opinion of their own. The fields is where clashes appear the most on coins. The field above United is clashed but not the easiest to see due to circulation. Once again thanks for all the help and input.
Pillar of the Community
United States
551 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this clash on the right side between the columns shows that the coin was struck at the correct angle for a 1999 mule. Second photo shows a doubled strike on the s at the correct southwest rotation also. I hope these new photos help to confirm the clash

Pillar of the Community
United States
551 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I am correct this clash should appear on other examples. Could be a diagnostic for this error.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1964 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see nothing that can be construed as a die clash, mule or otherwise.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
551 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your reply. Looks like I was wrong on this one
Pillar of the Community
United States
551 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My intention was not to deceive anyone and I apologize if it may have been taken that way. I'm no expert not even close just pointing out what I thought looked to be there. I like getting others opinions I obviously still have a lot to learn. Thanks for all the help and comments.
Pillar of the Community
United States
551 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot to post full obverse/reverse of this coin

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 866Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05