Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another 1747 8 Reales On Ebay - Authenticity Questioned

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 255Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  7:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Badgers to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There is a 1747 8 Reales coin just listed on eBay; search for 174453161117.

I'm new at this, and I understand that this is a highly counterfeited coin. At the risk of offending the seller, is this coin authentic? Having read some of the posts here and elsewhere, can some of you who are far more expert than I am please comment on it? If it is a fake, is it a contemporary one, or one created to deceive collectors?

Thank you for your assistance.

Valued Member
Germany
95 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DirtyHarry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Badgers!

I try to be very careful with this topic, and there are other forum members with far more experience in this area than me.

Having said that... I'm sorry but I don't like the coin.
I think it is a forgery. Check the lettering on the reverse and the details... If you search online for some fakes from this year, I bet similar coins will show up.

As to whether contemporary or not, sorry that's beyond me but surely there are others better able to answer that.
To me it looks contemporary, but I can be wrong

Best!
Edited by DirtyHarry
09/27/2020 10:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1521 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A contemporary counterfeit pillar would NEVER has detail this accurate/well-executed. It's genuine or a modern fake.

Surfaces have been... I guess "compromised" is the best word from exposure to something (not ground burial or salt water, though). Some abrasion is apparent also. Odd-looking piece - not one I'd be comfortable with. If fake, they did a decent job with the patina.

The 1780 he sold recently is a previously observed fake... note the obvious error!:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1780-MEXIC...174422306812
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2454 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are buying a coin that cost over $100.00 it should be graded by a TPG. IMHO
Valued Member
Germany
95 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DirtyHarry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's genuine or a modern fake.

Hi! I'm terribly sorry for my english. I tried to say I believe it is modern in my humble and limited opinion and made a mistake.

Regarding authenticity, I searched a bit more and found a topic here in the community about two coins recognized as forgeries and one of them looks very similar to the one we are discussing posted in ebay.

Of course this is no irrefutable proof that the ebay coin is also a fake! But I do find it suspicious at least.

(It is also possible that the ebay coin, or some other piece with the same obverse and reverse die pair has been copied to create the forgery)
Please let me know your thoughts...

Here below is the ebay coin:

And this is the forgery discussed here some time ago:
Edited by DirtyHarry
09/29/2020 10:28 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 255Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05