Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Brass" Plated Penny Errors

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 324Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  3:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Comfort Numb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone know of a complete list of pennies that were "Brass" plated errors. I see a list showing 1983,1985-D,1997,1997-D, and 98. Were there more years, and what were they. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
540 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's the only ones I know of
Tim Hughes
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36021 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's the ones I am aware of http://koinpro.tripod.com/Brass.htm
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Comfort Numb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see coins sometimes with that yellow brassy look other than the dates mentioned and wonder is that just toning or is it another one for the list. I don't know if there is a way to verify it. Because of the way they get that look (due to some form of zinc contamination in the plating solution) I would think almost any date could be one.Thanks everyone for your input just wondering.
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Comfort Numb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an example. The two on bottom have a yellow tint.

Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are they worth anything ?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36021 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A "true" brass plate is worth a premium,clink on link I provided. The only way I know how to tell a true one from common toned one is by finding it in a MS roll,preferably in the year they were minted because they can tone in MS rolls also.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1182 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"It is not uncommon to find a Zinc cent that has been Brass plated instead of plated with Copper. This can happen when Zinc planchets get left behind in the plating tank and dissolve to combine with the Copper which becomes Brass. Then this solution gets plated onto the next round of Zinc planchets."

i find it of being no premium myself, because of how easily it can happen, and that it isn't' a "mint error" it's a planchet supplier defect by not taking all the zinc planchets out of the plating solution each time and contamination the copper.

THey are worth something, the linked webite sell ungraded, or PCI graded examples for what they think they are worth.

A letter from the Dept. of Treasury to Ken Potter back then(also linked on that page linked above)

letter from the Department of the Treasury?

"JUNE 27, 1985

Dear Mr. Potter:

This is in response to your letter dated June 17, 1985 in which you enclosed three 1985 Denver one cent coins.

The difference in color is due to the amount of zinc in the copper plate. In a proper plated cent there would be no zinc in the outer layer. However it is NOT a rarity to find zinc present.

In the plating process it is NOT uncommon for several zinc blanks to be retained in the plating tanks. After a period of time the blanks begin dissolving and contaminate the plating solution. Thus a brass plate rather than a copper plate is formed on the subsequent blanks to be plated.

It is possible to

The coloration in this case is due to the INFUSION of zinc into the copper layer. However, since laboratory tests have shown a sharp boundary between layers this explanation has been disregarded.

Your coins are being returned to you with this letter."

So, it's not the zinc leeching to the copper plating, but left behind zinc planchets dissolving into the copper plating solution, contaminating the copper plating.

As far as brass goes:
"Brass is mainly an alloy that consists of copper with zinc added. Brasses can have varying amounts of zinc or other elements added. These varying mixtures produce a wide range of properties and variation in color. Increased amounts of zinc provide the material with improved strength and ductility. Brass can range in color from red to yellow depending on the amount of zinc added to the alloy."

The Ken Potter link, he can sell his PCI graded slabs for whatever he likes. Not sure if PCI is in business or not anymore. it was in and out of business for varios legal reasons over the years, their website no longer exists how I used to find it.

Lincoln cents like this can exist of any year if the planchet manufacturer runs slack quality control and leaves zinc planchets in the plating solution and lets it get contaminated and continues to use it when it's been contaminated and should have been discarded.

Also might want to note, he stopped this marketing and slabbing when one of the times that company PCI went out of business, And I've never seen one graded by NGC, PCGS or ANACS or anyone else, just PCI.

my opinion, a relatively common occurrence, turned into a marketing gimmick by a coin dealer and a a less than reputable TPG that was willing to do it.

Nothing bad about this Ken Potter, his business or his website, he's gotta make money somehow and if people are willing to pay for those, why not offer them.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
19667 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find all this of no Cents to me. In other words, I sure would not pay extra for one of those. I have 10 sets of Lincoln Cents all complete and in no way would I want to add one of those. Just makes no Cents to me.
just carl
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 324Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05