Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The New Wave Of So Called Doubled Dies .

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 544Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14160 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  2:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hope I'm in the right forum for this . Like I've said many times before , when I first started coin collecting it was just buy a coin folder and have a grand old time trying to fill those little holes . Dates , Mint and condition were the only way we started and knew . Sure we heard about the 1955-P doubled die & the 1937-D 3 legged Buffalo nickel But never really went that way . Errors & varieties ? What the heck is that ! Anyway this ''circulation thickness'' nonsense is making our newbies hyper . soon as they see a thick letter or number they think they've found the Crown Jewel . That's not where it ends how about minute errors like doubled eye lids , doubled lips ; Give me a break . there are some errors that you need an electron microscope to see them , really .This is crazy , the hobby has gotten out of hand and I blame you tube. A lot of the videos about coins are nonsense .
Look, I'm not bashing anyone here . Nor am I saying the way you started collecting is out right wrong . Just sayin Collecting now is a mental strain on what I call the New wave error & variety pandemic .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3114 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no problem with people collecting whatever they wish to collect, but the problem comes down to all the miss information, that is all over the internet, mostly you tube. There is a whole wave of new people/collector's believing they will get rich just by searching their change. Case in point just look at all the supposed error crap all over ebay. If it isn't minty mint, they believe it is an error.
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're singing my song Tony! We're old school. I guess it's fun for the young'ins because they can "apparently" see them. We need a scanning electron microscope to see a 55 DDO! LoL!! I guess if these "new wave so called doubled dies" were worth anything, it might be worth it. To each his own I guess.

I mostly skip over those threads you're talking about.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3009 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
People always ask how to get more people into the hobby and why the hobby is "dying", then when a new idea, niche, or collecting focus comes up it's "not how we used to collect" or "it's derailing the hobby."

I'm young so I wasn't around then, but don't tell me that people didn't come into the hobby 20+ years ago, before errors and varieties were as popular as they are now, expecting to get rich quick.

Yes we should inform newcomers to lower expectations, misinformation is out there, coin channels on YouTube are terrible.
But bashing and devaluing a niche part of the hobby that is bringing in many new collectors is so short-sighted and destructive.

Pick and choose what YOU want to collect. No one is forcing you to even look at that part of the hobby.

Don't strain yourself!
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tanman2001,

I think what is frustrating T-BOP, are the newbies that come here insisting they have something new and unique..........and they don't.
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am old school also.

All these tiny errors are of no interest to me. But it ain't likely yer going to find a 1942/41 dime in yer pocket change (I did but that was 60 years ago). Gives new guys somethings to look for. But it amazes me what prices some of that stuff brings.

How many posts do we see on this forum that are damaged coins that somebody thinks is a rarity? Or a piddily "error". Must drive the coin shop owners crazy because somebody brings one in that they saw one "just like it on the Internet for $10,000."
Edited by John K
09/28/2020 7:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3835 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To each their own.
Or ... there is room for all of us here (except the forgers).

I, too, am am not an intentional collector of errors/varieties, but I have to admit to being thrilled when I find one (mostly those have been laminations, strike throughs, minor clips and the occasional collar error).

If I put the shoe on the other foot, I imagine a lot of US error collectors wonder why someone (like me) would bother collecting coins from other countries hundreds of years old that are often poorly struck, and where you sometimes can't read half the legends (if there were any to begin with).

Bedrock of the Community
United States
19662 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I blame so much on Album manufacturers too. Once the put a slot in there for the 22 Plain Lincoln, 55 Doubled, 72 doubled, 3 legged Buffalo, etc. People started looking for new stuff. Then there is that doubled ear stuff, or extra eye lid. No end to all this nonsense. Or is it NONCENTS? I really don't see how a manufacturer makes any extra money for putting those slots in their products. Then too there are separate forums for all those different coins. I almost think there will soon be separate forums right here for Doubled Eyes, doubled ears, doubled noses, etc. Soon Albums will be five feet thick to hold all the different ones. I too am guilty of collecting all the different types and varieties. Just can't stop.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I blame so much on Album manufacturers too. Once the put a slot in there for the 22 Plain Lincoln, 55 Doubled, 72 doubled, 3 legged Buffalo, etc.

It must have been a business decision somewhere along the line. I wonder if Whitman, Dansco and the other manufacturers get input and suggestions from organizations like ANA or their costumers.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  05:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of you are correct . Too many tiny so-called errors. I'll be 54 in October and I grew up knowing the "big" errors also. These tiny die breaks and cracks make me sick,lol. They make Billions of coins a year, there's bound to be "errors". Tiny non-interesting stuff.
Ebay has gone way out of control and these grading companies as well. Ahhh ! Where's my Coffee ? Remember the " Old Days " ?

https://www.thevintagenews.com/wp-c...ury-Mint.jpg
Edited by SensibleSal66
09/30/2020 06:35 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14160 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yo , Sal it seems you do have sense after all .Here's your coffee >
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1179 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I mean, technically you should blame variety vista, Cherrypickers and all the others that created huge catalogs of every single minor DD in existence as well as the major ones, to justify a year after year business and website traffic and the need to create a new edition of the same old books.

Can't really blame Youtubers trying to cash in and make their own business out of this either, the catalogers came before youtube existed, in alot of cases those youtubers are giving the attribution numbers for "extra finger" 2009 Lincoln cents that you can't see without 40x magnification.

everyone is free to collect how they like to collect, if you want to only collect bicentennial quarters from circulation in a jar, I'm fine with that. I don't consider the 3 leg buffalo, the 18/7 buffalo, the 55 dd Lincoln, the 22 Lincoln no D, ect ect NECESSARY for a complete collection any more than I consider the early Lincoln matte proof cents necessary for a complete collection.
But that's me.

As long as there have been doubled dies, there's been people looking at a coin and saying "I think I see doubling" and having no clue what a doubled die is much less how to spell it correctly so of course they can't identify it when they see it and ask on a forum like this day after day after day until they catch on they actually have to learn something to have a shot at being successful at it as a hobby.

Heck I spent a 3 months with a friend shooting down his Machine Doubling, RPMs, and trying to explain, it's not a shift on the coin, the DIE has doubling itself, each coin struck with the die has the same doubling.
Then he finally pops up with a 1960-D RPM-003, all that time and eye strain and finger dirt, finally rewarded and man was he happy he found something and it was finally confirmed. Finding is mostly knowing what you are looking for and recognizing it when you see it. there's also a small amount of dumb luck for some people. some people have to have it drilled in that they aren't going to toss a coin under a microscope and find a doubled die right off the bat, or happen into one looking at their pocket change, it's possible, but it's unlikely.

Didn't have the heart to tell him it's a couple bucks tops on ebay and heavily circulated even less than that, and he didn't ask about the value yet, just happy he actually found something that is cataloged, and now more sure of himself, it was like a kid catching his first fish. :)

I've never heard of "circulation thickness". When I look it up it gives me something about artery hardening. ahahhhaaa

My opinion, this hobby can be as big or as small as you like. you set your own rules for what you want to do. if you aren't into errors and varieties, so be it you don't have to get involved in anything having to do with them, tell the younger folks it's not your thing and you only collect chain cents or something :D
There's people that only collect Morgan dollar VAMS and couldn't care about any other series.

If people want to collect and catalog for themselves valueless coins with Machine Doubling,
or coins that were mutilated by someone and dumped back into circulation,
I'm totally OK with them doing that if that's what they want to do.
....I find it no different than counterstamped coin collectors really! hahahhahaha!

Edited by Big-Kingdom
09/30/2020 1:56 pm
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
....I find it no different than counterstamped coin collectors really! hahahhahaha!

Or collecting pet rocks! hahahahah!

I guess we all get something different (satisfaction, gratification or accomplishment) from the hobby. Whatever it is, we're all in the coin collecting boat.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16976 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  05:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm young so I wasn't around then, but don't tell me that people didn't come into the hobby 20+ years ago, before errors and varieties were as popular as they are now, expecting to get rich quick.

You're right, they did.

The interest in all the "minor" doubled dies is a natural outgrowth of the fact that a beginning collector isn't going to have any challenge in completing a date and mint collection of just about any modern circulating coin after 1964. (Go buy a few boxes at the bank, OK you're done, now what?) and nothing that they find is in those date and mint sets is going to have value over face. They aren't going to find rare pieces, key or semi keys in their change. So then they have to either go back further buying the coins they need (and if they are younger not having the money to do so) or they started taking a closer look ot what IS available to them and start learning about errors and varieties. And even there, their best chance of finding something is going to be those "minor" doubled dies. Most "major errors" such as clips, significant doubled dies, wrong denomination planchets etc are like those keys and semi keys. For the most part they AREN'T going to find them. But there are LOTS of minor DDO's and DDR's out there, and that is something they DO have a chance at finding. Who knows you might even find something new. So that is where the interest is focused by a lot of newbies. There is nothing wrong with it if it holds their interest. They may stay with it fo all their collecting life (There are new possibilities every year), or they may someday move into the older material or branch out into other areas. They are all welcome, and everyone needs to find a niche that interest them, not collect something because someone else thinks you should. (Fastest way to LOSE interest.)

Some collectors can't understand why you would collect something that doesn't have the potential to "grow" and increase in value. They don't get that some people just have a natural tendency to collect and classify and for them that is where the fun and value is, not in a monetary return.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
10/01/2020 05:35 am
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2020  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fredcdobbs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EAC guys started it

Here is the description on a eac I purchased

1807 VG 10
S-276 R1
er close to hair
e lower than b
rotated dies
180 close
kg fraction rev
light cud over (a)mer(ica)?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4213 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2020  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's Darwinian; the hobby evolves, some collectors do, some don't.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 544Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05