Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1798 Draped Bust Large Cent Worth Grading?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 534Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  12:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add agostinm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just started back into collecting coins. Purchased this off E-Bay. Is it worth getting it graded or should I just store it away.

Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3638 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has appearance of a cast copy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2525 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks fake to me also
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36047 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. It does look iffy.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7542 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks fake
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2419 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree that it looks counterfeit.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2471 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to know Why everyone thinks it's fake
Pillar of the Community
United States
9283 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would like to know Why everyone thinks it's fake

just one of the markers for this coin not being authentic is the raised metal bumps all across the surfaces. indicative of a sand casting. sand particles would make a negative when the metal was poured and result in these. the raised line from the neck to the edge most likely caused by dripping metal as it was being poured

return this coin if possible
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2471 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
just one of the markers for this coin not being authentic is the raised metal bumps all across the surfaces. indicative of a sand casting. sand particles would make a negative when the metal was poured and result in these. the raised line from the neck to the edge most likely caused by dripping metal as it was being poured

Thats the kind of stuff we need to hear. Not just telling someone the coin is fake.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2419 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not just telling someone the coin is fake.

Guilty. I've had the same sentiments in the past.

But now that I'm looking at it more closely, I'm not so sure that it's fake. I had the same concerns about the raised bumps thinking that it might be cast. But it's an S-157, and I found a graded S-157 large cent at Heritage that has the same horizontal die break across the obverse field and bumps that they attributed to rusted dies. So could this be a combination of rusted dies and environmental damage? The images of the authentic 1798 are below.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2525 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice catch on the S-157 with raised bumps due to rusty dies Zurie. You just might be right about authenticity
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2461 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

Don't be upset that you had conflicting answers. The members here are giving honest answers from what they've seen in the past. Threads can turn into debates, just as this one. Once members have some time to research a coin the opinions are sometimes reversed.

I was thinking it could have been counterfeit, but the seller in this case is a well known eBayer with lots of sales and a 100% feedback rating. I also thought it could have been a real coin that was corroded. With the detective work done by Zurie, I think that's the case.

Now we need to answer your original question. I think it should be certified if only to answer the question of authenticity once and for all, but only if you intend to sell the coin at some later date.

THANKS for posting this coin. It really opened my eyes! I hope you post many other coins for us to comment on and "Debate."
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Pillar of the Community
United States
3638 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could also be a cast copy of the S-157.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51240 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shoutout to Zurie for the research.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9283 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also giving a shoutout to Zurie for the research.

agostinm, many counterfeit coins have this look from being sand cast. I was questioning my response as to whether I should have went to look up all the varieties for this year which are several. I own a S-174 for this year and never came across this variety. my bad on that call however, just because it appears to be an authentic S-157, a sand cast would be an exact copy of a coin. the coin would still need to be authenticated to be certain. if authentic I think it might come in as F details and looking at the reverse the coin may have spent some time in the ground and cleaned
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 534Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05