Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1934 S Peace Dollar Coin - Grade This One!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 379Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  7:22 pm Show Profile   Check villagekid's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add villagekid to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ok...here is a 1934-s Peace dollar Coin
that has been graded. Tough one in any grade.
The surface scratches you see is not on the holder.
That info should assist to some degree in your
analysis of a grade.
Good Luck!

Pillar of the Community
United States
540 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63
Tim Hughes
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51163 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it probably makes 63 as well, but not a big fan.
Edited by Coinfrog
09/29/2020 8:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9437 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The surface scratches you see is not on the holder.

Those are significant hairlines. Being the key to the series it may have landed in a problem-free holder but I can't see it higher than a 61. It's really UNC Details.
ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Peace dollar has become my favorite series...and with the 2021 being reintroduced...I'm going to be all over them.
Too bad about the surfaces...can't understand why folks decide to try and clean them...? Sigh...
I'll say UNC Details
smat
Valued Member
Canada
87 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MathMan27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say Unc-Details as well, unless those are hairlines from planchet preparation (I can't remember if this is one of the dates with this problem, and I am too lazy to go upstairs and find my Peace dollar guide). Other than those scratches though, you'd have something worth at least 4 figures (The eagle feathers have nice detail).
Pillar of the Community
United States
9280 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
reverse is quite nice. as for originality of surfaces, those scratches could be from a cleaning or possibly from banging around against other coins. not sure on this one. reverse may help push this to MS63 or UNC details if it was in fact cleaned. cant make up my mind on this one
Pillar of the Community
United States
8126 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since you said the scratches are on the coin, I'll have to say unc. details. It would be a really nice coin if those scratches weren't there...
Sets in progress... Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Check villagekid's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add villagekid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Graded MS60 Details from Anacs.
I believe this coin was correctly graded.
Question is what should someone pay based on this
criteria? I have a friend that's been wanting this
coin and I'm just not sure how to guide him correctly.
I'm not a Peace dollar collector and somewhat inefficient at pricing Peace dollar Coins. I know what the PCGS pricing indicates but this is a Details Coin...I'm lost when it comes to Details Pricing.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51163 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Comparing your first obverse pic with the second, it's hard to believe it's the same coin - compare cheeks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9437 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Question is what should someone pay based on this
criteria?

See what other UNC Details (or AU Details) pieces sold for and adjust price wise for your comfort level. You could also search low end MS pieces that show obvious cleanings but are graded problem-free. Also search eBay completed listings.

As far as I'd go is $500. At most.

ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2020  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Check villagekid's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add villagekid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was at the live auction and my friend passed on this coin.
The scratches on the facial region were just too much of a distraction to pull the trigger.
Coin went for $1,100.
Thought that was a little high for a Details Cleaned.
Anyhow, appreciate all the assistance and helpful tips
on this coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51163 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2020  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crazy price, good decision to pass.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2405 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2020  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The scratches on your second photo look much worse, your friend was wise to pass.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9280 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2020  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
since they put an actual grade on this one I think its undergraded from that respect. this coin is way better than a 60. even if they didnt like the eye sporadic appeal/toning it should be at least 62
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21466 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2020  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks more like scrapes and scratches than a cleaning. But might have had that also. I think MS-60 details was the right call.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 379Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05