Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Frankiln Half Dollar Question: MS-6x Non FBL Or One Grade Lower But FBL

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 441Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
87 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  10:33 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MathMan27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Frank-o-philes,

I have a question that probably does not have a right answer but I will ask anyway.

Looking through the prices (all taken from PCGS CoinFacts) of some dates, an interesting dilemma pops up.

For example, the 1963-D Frankiln Half with a grade of MS-65 FBL is priced at $150. Someone who's budget for these coins is around $125 per coin might shy away from this, and look for a MS-65-non-FBL example ($28) or an MS-64-FBL ($35).

These two options are close to the same price. In looking at other date/mintmark combinations, this kind of decision also comes up (1950, 1959, 1961-D among others).

My question is, which option is preferable? Would you buy a MS-64 FBL over an MS-65-non-FBL coin for a given date (and not just the 1963-D)? Why or why not? Are there considerations other than potential resale value? Does the decision change if you are doing the same exercise but for MS-66-nonFBL vs. MS-65FBL?

I realize this would depend on how nice each coin looked in hand and other factors, but are there rules-of-thumb that Franklin collectors on this forum use for these kinds of decisions?
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, one question at a time . 1) I would offer the $125 and if no go, buy the 64fbl and save up for the 65 . My opinion.
2) simply cuz it's affordable .
3) What's the Values for the 66 and 65 ?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7515 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  11:06 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm very picky with strikes. If I can pay a premium for a better strike I will 100% of the time. The one exception to that rule is FBL franklins. You can tell the difference between a FS and non FS Jefferson with the naked eye. You can tell the difference between a FB merc and non FB merc with the naked eye. You can't tell the difference between a FBL and non FBL franklin without a loupe. Given that I elected to go with a 67 non FBL for my set because I frankly don't care about FBL franklins as they look no different then a non FBL one to me.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
Canada
87 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MathMan27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sal: The prices for the 1963-D: In MS-66-nonFBL - $450, MS-65-FBL - $150. I grabbed these from PCGS CoinFacts. I realize prices offered by dealers may be different.

For this date and these grade levels, the price discrepancy is more clear, and I'd be more willing to pay for a MS-65FBL in this case. At any rate, I only asked about the higher grade levels in my third question as a general though exercise and not for the specific 1963-D date. My apologies for not communicating that properly.

Grape: I appreciate the insight. Having looked at some coins with the naked eye, I largely agree with you, although I have seen some are more obviously nonFBL than others.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14155 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the Grape .FBL's are not that easy to determine without magnification . A lot of raw Franklins on e-bay that more than a few sellers are calling it FBL's are nowhere near it . So I'll also take the higher grade over a FBL coin .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One other factor is if you decide to go FBL for the set, the 53-S is going to kill you....
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok settled. Buy what you can afford . Be Happy.
Valued Member
Canada
87 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MathMan27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I wasn't planning on pursuing a 1953-S-FBL as that's quite a bit out of my budget range. I was planning on getting gem FBLs in the affordable range (there are a small handful of those), like $150 or less.

Having read Rick Tomaska's Guide to Franklin and Kennedy halves, and the PCGS coinfacts prices, along with the Numismedia FMV guide and various pieces available online, Tomaska's prices seem a little high. That book is from 2018 though, so perhaps that explains the discrepancy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's still going to be a great set, regardless!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
632 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlbumAccumulator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm currently building this set and have a mix of 64, 65, 64FBL, and 65FBL. To me it is about eye appeal. If I can get the next grade up or FBL for a little more and it is attractive I'll do it. If the jump is too large, I'll go with the lower grade.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Accumulator - it is all about the eye appeal!
Learn More...
United States
90828 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2020  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Valued Member
Canada
87 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2020  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MathMan27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I agree! Thanks for all of the advice as this gives me confidence that I will be comfortable with the purchases I make.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19653 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2020  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd have to actually see the coins to make a decision.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter611 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it boils down to what you can be satisfied with and not say, I shoulda bought the other. After all when u break it down it's basically like setting aside an extra dollar a day for so many days, in some cases that amounts to nothing for something that you really want.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 441Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05