Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Princetane's Growing Collection Of British Coins

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 78 / Views: 3,879Next Topic
Page: of 6
Learn More...
United States
101823 Posts
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2772 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2020  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1927 saw a change to the beautiful cruciform shields design of Kruger Grey and these coins are particularly beautiful when in nice condition (VF and up). Apart from these proofs, no Florins of either type for circulation were released in 1927.

1927 saw a limited proof issue, but 1928 saw the first general issue. There were no florins issued in 1934.

1929 aEF, the first of two nice examples I can show you. Most dates of this type are affordable in high grade except the scarce 1932 date.

1930 EF - this coin is a bit grubbier than the 1929, but a higher grade. 1930 and 1931 are less common dates.

At the other end of the spectrum!

1932 was a scarce date with only 750,000 issued and the most scarce since the 1900s, no other Florin afterwards would have a mintage this low and this near Fine coin is not so bad when you think about it.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
10/03/2020 10:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2772 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2020  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The change to King George VI saw a design change also by Kruger Grey. This crowned Tudor rose is in my opinion not as nice as the earlier design. By this stage UNC florins are quite cheap and thus examples like this are very common.

Respecting different parts of the UK we have a thistle and a shamrock as well. This 1942 is VF or near it. The design was originally floated for the Edward VIII coinage and proofs exist.

Fortunately for you - I have a nice example of this design, the 1946 coin here is close to UNC and it wa sthe last year of the silver florin. In 1947 we moved to base metal coins of the same size, weight and shape. These photos are from April and not my best.

A very average 1951 Florin (I have upgraded it slightly) shows the later type of this design with the Ind Imp gone and the base metal type. The thick lettering and sparse detail make it less pleasing than the earlier silver ones.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2772 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2020  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Florins of Queen Elizabeth carried on the Floral theme of the previous reign and although cluttered, the design is much better with roses, thistles and shamrocks in amongst the tendrils and vines. Also Welsh leeks, which were now seem as a separate part of the UK rather than lumped in with England.

An average quality 1955 Florin here is shown with a Scottish shilling for effect.

The last Florins were minted in 1967 (Apart from the 1970 proof) and starting in 1968, their decimal equivalent the 10p was minted in their place. The 10p coin was the same size, shape and metal as the Florins until 1992 when it was shrunk in size and made out of a cheaper metal.

Old photos from March.

A 1970 dated 10p and 5p. These coins were criculating prior to changeover but as Florins and shillings. Florins themselves could still be found in British change as late as 1990.

Last post, a big pile of post 1947 Florins for you to look at.

Next we will move on to my HALFCROWN collection - you guys will love it - over 100 different dates!
Edited by Princetane
10/03/2020 10:24 pm
Learn More...
United States
101823 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2020  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great examples and commentary.

Quote:
Next we will move on to my HALFCROWN collection - you guys will love it - over 100 different dates!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
604 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2020  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, me too, looking forward to having a peep at those.
Edited by Hogarth
10/05/2020 09:36 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2772 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2020  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Halfcrowns have been collected in largely the same fashion except I started on these back in January and the rate of gain has slowed down a bit as I have nearly all of the 20th century ones (Excluding 1965 and a few varieties) and generally pre 1887 coins are fairly hard to find unless worn flat.

Again I will show you their obverses in packets and then head towards individual better coins afterwards. Most of these coins have already appeared in Edition 6 of how far back can we go, the British coin acquisition thread and really only the collection shots are fresh.

Also a good post on them loose appears in the "Series you have completed thread"

The oldies

Starting at the beginning, the oldest 7 coins are spread across 3 pages, I combined them for the one shot for ease.

This part of the collection accumulates the slowest and is the most expensive, these 7 coins cost me around $1,400 in total! The most expensive is the Commonwealth coin ($510) and the Charles II ($375). On the other hand the Lima and the 1697 William/Chaloner cost just $80 each - a small price for a large 300 year old silver coin .

The Charles I halfcrown (Crown 1635/36) cost me just $165 and as one of my friends who collects 17th century English coins said it was a common era for Charles I hammered halfcrowns and yet I still got it cheap.

Coins - Charles I (1635/36 Fine - gFine), Commonwealth 1656 - VG to near Fine, Charles II 1670 - Fine, William III 1696 Tower - VG+, William III 1697 Exeter but with small harp on shield (1696?) possible fake - between G and VG, Anne 1709 VG
George II 1746 Lima, cleaned VG to VG+
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2772 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2020  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

And like that we leave the Historic coins and hit the industrial era. The number of my early 19th century halfcrowns has shot up but sadly its been a rush for quantity rather than quality!

Proper and full silver coin issuing started again in 1816, with a new mint, new technology and a new attitude. Unlike in previous generations - year 1 being 1816 was a bumper one and a mountain of new high quality and precious coins was issued quickly.

Here is an 1816 Bull Head Halfcrown (Fine - a good piece), 1817 Bull head (aGood rev and Poor obv), and there would be 4 more halfcrowns with the 1817 - 1820 design with a smaller head. I don't have any at this stage.

1820 also saw the first issued of George IV halfcrowns as George III died in January and unlike later coins came out the year of accession rather than coronation. It needn't matter both of my 1820 (Fair) and 1821 (Good) halfcrowns are spacefillers and their days in this "A" collection are limited.

Piggie George went through 3 coin design phases and fortunately for you my other 4 coins of his are much better. The 1823 coin is Fine along with gFine but darkened 1825 (Not cleaned for once) and a decent VG 1826. The last two coins are of the 3rd phase in which the king has lost a lot of chinnage and age.

Phase 1 and 2 portrait showing chunky George (1823)

Phase 3 portrait showing a slimmer more self assured king (1825) = make me look sexy factor ramped up.
The only real aging chnage is the plump Hannover lips have been thinned (George III had bigger lips than me!)

Don't worry better photos and (coins) are coming.

Edited by Princetane
10/05/2020 9:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2772 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2020  03:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Moving along to William IV, I have 3 of the 5 dates issued. Halfcrowns were only issued in 1831, 1834 to 1837 and I have 1834 (This coin here is an upgrade on my original one, which I gave to my 12 year old nephew as he loves old things). 1835 and 1836.

The 1834 and 1836 are high VG examples, the 1835 a more scarce is a full grade lower. Also shown is my first of many Halfcrowns issued during the reign of Queen Victoria.

This 1845 coin is also in the VG area and some dates like 1839 and 1841 are incredibly rare. Ironically this design was used for nearly 50 years, but thanks to the introduction and promotion of the Florin, halfcrowns were not issued between 1850 and 1874.

The 1849 coin is quite scarce (Top left, like some Georgian coins these are undated on the obverse) but this one has been like acid washed or something. Also shown are mediocre 1875, 1878 and 1881 examples (Again dates are on the reverse).

What was funny, was that the same design was used on 1874 to 1887 dated Halfcrowns and these are Type II's known for their cruder quality than the Type I's (1839 - 1850). However from 1874 - Halfcrowns would be issued for circulation every year to 1967 except for 1952 (When only a few patterns and proofs were made).
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2772 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2020  03:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Things really pick up with the Jubilee, my piece are not the best but they are good enough (Well maybe that 1888 is a bit iffy, but that year at least I have a really nice Florin and farthing).
1887 saw 2 halfcrowns, a young head which is truly scarce and the much more common Jubilee Halfcrown and with it, the date returned to the obverse and remained through to the last halfcrowns.

Again my pages are set up so the coins can be slotted in as I get them rather than rearrange the whole collection everytime I get another date I don't have. Some creative cut and pasting here.

My 1887 Halfcrown is near Fine (But then again this is an easy date to get, high mintage and souveniring so UNC coins are even quite common, this piece is well below average and a melt coin only).

The 1888 is barely good, 1889 and 1891 are again in that VG to gVG area. The 1893 there is the first of the Old Head design with a gorgeous neo gothic shield surrounded by Foliage and one of the most beautiful designs. This coin is a cleaned VF - gVF and one of my best pieces and most beautiful.

The 1896 is again one of my usual VG (Very weak strike and central wear) and slightly better examples of the era. About the best you can find loose without paying the big bucks (Figure that a 19th century Half crown is a $20 coin already just on silver and reputation, before condition comes in)

Starting in 1899 the gaps disappear and here are some of my best and less great pieces. Its pretty much cheek by jowl except for a 1926 modified effigy and 1965 Halfcrown.

Here we have 3 rows of prime silver coin. Starting from the top left. 1899 aFine, 1900 VG+, 1901 gVG and that finishes Victoria, many of these later dates are quite common.

As we reach Edward VII things change, none of his dates are really super common, although I have all 9 coins now. 5 dates are considered common (1902, 1906/7, 1909/10). 1908 is less common, 1904 is scarce, 1903 is rare and 1905 is even rarer.

None of my coins are superb, but all are acceptable to decent. They are 1902 gFine, 1903 aFine - cleaned?, 1904 aVF (Great for a scarce date), 1905 Good/aGood but decent for the scarcity of this piece. This coin I added just a few weeks ago.
1906 VG+, 1907 Fine but harshly cleaned, 1908 and 1909 gVG and 1910 Fine.

Next we move into George V and see some really NICE coins
Edited by Princetane
10/06/2020 03:57 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8871 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2020  04:03 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very impressive so far. I don't have a Commonwealth halfcrown!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18687 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2020  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I put together a complete portrait Shillings set Charles 11 - Elizabeth 11 fine to uncirculated (except the Dorien & Magens and Northumberland Shillings), some years ago. My son now owns this set.
Learn More...
United States
101823 Posts
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2772 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2020  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sel_69l - I would love to see those shillings, would you do a thread, the shilling is the next coin I hope to tackle as the number of available florins to buy dwindles and I know the shilling is a very popular coin.
You may also delighted to know I have just bought an incredible group of Australian Florins, nearly all in very high grades including an UNC 1941.

You get 50 more years starting with testoons of HenryVII.

My collection is so dynamic, that as I type this a 1938 Halfcrown arrives an upgrade on my cleaned Fine coin and its an AU piece!

For some reason I can never get good shots of lustrous high grade coins on my camera, they come out hazy like this, but I can assure this thing dazzles and the only wear is light rubbing on the highpoints of the hair and a big bagmark on the lower portrait fields.

The obverse like all George V and VI coins in EF or better is flawless.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2772 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2020  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once we enter George V, the golden age of my halfcrowns begin. Apart from the first 3 years 1911 to 1913 most of the dates are common and good coins can be had. 1914 to 1919 are all very common years with mintages rising from 3 or 4 million per year to 10 - 32 million coins in some cases!

The 1911 to 1919 coins are sterling silver coins and many can be found VF and even EF for low prices. These coins were hoarded when they dropped to half silver coins in 1920.

1911 - 1922 Type 1 here.
1911 and 1912 g Fine, 1913 aVF (I originally thought it was rare as a printing error on Numista had its 1.1 million coins minted not 4.1 million coins. 1914's coin is a bt more worn at near Fine, but this was the first really common date and can be upgraded easy.

1915 (aEF) and 1916 (gVF) are amongst the best I have and these two I got early in my collecting career of halfcrowns. In someways the 1915 coin started this coin craze of mine.

1917 is less impressive at just gFine and 1918 is probably my least pleasing of the silver era at just gVG. 1919 the last year of good silver sees another climb to near EF and this is a way to end the sterling silver phase with a bang.

George V halfcrowns like many coins of his early reign (1911 - 1926) suffered from high reliefing and ghosting on the portrait so you get uneven wear. This was remedied in 1926 with the modified effigy. What it means is that any coin a bit better than VF will be shiny and can even have a flawless obverse, yet George is always weakly struck and hair detail is limited below EF in many cases.

Moving into the base silver years, they kept the same designs, size and weight of the coins we get the more worn 1920 (Easily replaced as its a common date - gVG). The 1921 coin is much nicer and is near EF. Like most 1920/22 coins a high grade coin has an unnaturally white colour due to nickel being added to the copper/silver mix. The coins wear off the silver nickel looking more like the 1920. This causes the corroding copper to be exposed and its a green pale grey wear.

The first 1922 coin is probably the same alloy (Later in 1922, they got rid of the nickel just having a silver/copper mix). This coin has the type one obverse where the lip of the shield touches the crown (And its on all of these designs back to 1902!). The later and more common 1922 coins this was changed to a design in which there was a gap between the lip of the shield and crown and this can be discerned even in heavily worn coins.
Edited by Princetane
10/07/2020 12:16 am
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 78 / Views: 3,879Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05