Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1883-O Morgan VAM Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 349Next Topic  
Valued Member
Japan
176 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2020  1:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Pulled this piece out of a cardboard-backed coin frame earlier this year. All of the coins had this gnarly toning on the reverse (a little too gnarly for my taste), and definitely making it hard to locate the VAM. Any ideas? (dave700x?)

Also, Liberty's cap seems to have had something struck through during the minting process.

Valued Member
Japan
176 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2020  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Opinions on grade would be good too. I love the strike on this coin so I plan on getting it holdered regardless.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
961 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2020  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the bottom pic, I'm going to say:
1883-O VAM-49 Tripled O Left Inside
And I'll Say MS-65
Edited by GMS5
10/08/2020 2:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9423 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2020  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it may be a VAM-35. Check for doubling on the stars.
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
Japan
176 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VAM-35, You nailed it Dave!
I was initially with GMS5 in that the mintmark seemed noticably thicker, but God has certainly blessed you with a knack for detail!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
961 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very hard to see doubled stars on my monitor at work, LOL. but the bottom inside of the 3 looks VAM 35-ish.
Pillar of the Community
United States
569 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin! It might get bagged as AT for the rev toning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9423 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't see the doubled stars either. I was going off the die crack through the eagle's right wing tip. It is present on VAM-23B and VAM-35 that I know of. That and the die crack through the left wing tip match the VAM-35 LCFP. Just like finger prints, no two are exactly alike but there are a few evil mimics in the Morgan series.
1883-O Nut
Edited by dave700x
10/09/2020 6:04 pm
Valued Member
United States
304 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2020  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikev50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice coin and toning---
Valued Member
United States
239 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter611 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin and the toning on the reverse IMO makes the eagle look mad, lol.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 349Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05