Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Burnished Coin Value?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 797Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
59 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  12:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I was just wondering what exactly 'burnished' meant for a coin and how it affects its value. I know for cleaned coins, it's safe to say their value is 50% that of what it would be without cleaning .. but how exactly does burnishing apply on early 1800s coins? Thank you ahead of time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11128 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  04:40 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've only seen "burnished" used in relation to certain modern Silver Eagles that have specially prepared planchets.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Edited by spruett001
10/09/2020 04:41 am
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  05:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a 1818 large cent graded as '1818 1C BURNISHED EF40 DETAILS' and I do not really understand what that means!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2556 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  05:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
burnished
[#712;b#601;rniSHd]
ADJECTIVE
(especially of metal) polished by rubbing.
"highly burnished armor" [more]

I think Your coin is cleaned
Edited by keith12
10/09/2020 06:34 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52002 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like it. Can you show us pics?
Learn More...
United States
92145 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1646 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC's definition:

"BURNISHED is the term used when the cleaning is more aggressive and gives the coin a very brilliant but unnatural sheen. Sometimes this action is performed with some abrasive media such as ball bearings, or it may result from treatment within a rock tumbler." https://www.NGCcoin.com/coin-gradin...ils-grading/
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, thank you for your replies. That is what I initially thought but was not really sure. As per requests, I have attached some photos below (its hard to take photos of encapsulated coins!).

Due to money problems, the seller has kindly offered to accept the coin back, however I am still very curious as to its value and the effect 'burnishing' has on value. The coin itself is very neat but the whole tampered aspect seems significant. What do you guys think?

Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PS. I paid around $120 for this coin. Found myself trapped in a bidding war and let the 'submit bid' button get the best of me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2556 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Found myself trapped in a bidding war and let the 'submit bid' button get the best of me.

Don't do that again. I hope you get your money back
Pillar of the Community
United States
1646 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I looked at Heritage for details coins less than AU.

VF30 $53 cleaned
F $61 ED
XF $57 ED
F $39 ED
F $84 rim damage

These span 2019 back to 2016. Yours seems to have ED in addition to the burnishing. If I really really wanted it I probably would have stopped at $80. If I only wanted a "deal" I would have stopped around $50.

Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the responses. While I was aware I overpaid for the coin, I was not sure by how much. Nevertheless, I will be returning this coin, completely unrelated to the fact that I paid too much. And I appreciate all the comments informing of what 'Burnishing' actually meant. Its all a learning process!

But yeah! After this, I am going to take a break from bidding and focus on the current issue at hand. This hobby is so darn expensive anyways!! And thank you for the references and opinions -- they put things into perspective for me.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19831 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2020  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let us know if you get your money back.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
962 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2020  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wouldn't be bad for $60 or $70
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello all! The coin has been returned!! Refund should hit in a couple of days :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that an ANACs thing? I've never seen a slab labeled "Burnished" before.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 797Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05