Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Past & Nearly Perfect By Our Very Own Bosox..i Am Blown Away

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 648Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4748 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  7:15 pm Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got a couple copies of this for myself as well as some coin friends of mine...and all I can really say is it blew us all away. I mean this is a true work of passion in every sense of the word, the book is in my eyes, an instant classic and an in depth labor of love the likes of which I haven't seen before in Canadian Numismatics. In every word I read I can feel Rob's passion for what he does and his excitement to teach the reader. If you haven't bought a copy yet, you definitely need to! We need much more literature of this magnitude in Canadian Numismatics...well done Mr. Turner! You've crafted a true work of art that will inspire many for years to come.
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 20 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk!
Valued Member
Canada
172 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dollar 1935 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I Recently bought mine but still wait it. I can't wait to see the result of all that hard work
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9147 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3254 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2020  06:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, you guys should order and read the other 4 he wrote previously. He was in the wrong field as a civil engineer for 20 years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
982 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2020  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the very kind words. I was a labor of love. I bought my first large cent specimen, an 1858, in 1981 from Chuck Moore. I left the hobby for twenty years (kids, mortgages, etc.) and didn't buy another specimen until 2007, when I bought an 1859 from Mike Walsh.

That one got me hooked. I decided to try to finish the PCGS registry set of large cent specimens. Over the next several years, I found most of them, but was lacking the really rare ones. I approached a dealer to help me finish the set, who promptly told me "you won't live long enough." He did help me and I was lucky. The Beckman collection of specimens sold in 2015, Cornerstone and Cook in 2019, a once in a lifetime convergence of specimen coins on the market. I finished the set last year.

Over the past thirteen years or so, as I usually do in my collecting areas, I tried to learn everything I could about large cent specimens. I quickly realized that they were very much misunderstood by numismatists and collectors. Since I had done the work and the acquired the knowledge, I decided to write it down. I have seen too many collectors and dealers spend a lifetime learning about their specialty area and then take that information to their graves without ever sharing it.

It was my great pleasure to donate the book to the RCNA. They are a worthy organization that, like most non-profits today, struggles for operating funds. If you buy the book, all the money goes to them. For those that do buy it, I really hope you enjoy it. Personally, I think the pictures of these magnificent coins alone are worth it.
Learn More...
Canada
9374 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2020  10:02 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Between this book, and the Cornerstone Collection catalogue that Sandy Campbell published, our basic knowledge of Canada's best (and often scarcest) coins, such as known populations, has made a huge leap.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
982 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2020  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. If you are interested in specimen coins, particularly the silver specimens, the Cornerstone catalog is a must have. Sandy donated the proceeds from that to a non-profit as well. I would also recommend the Beckman and Cook catalogs (both published by Heritage).
Edited by bosox
10/11/2020 1:43 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 648Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05