Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Australian Florin Buy In

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 1,558Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1658 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2020  06:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought these last week and thought you may like them. You may find them average but to me they are the best I have ever owned.

Before these 99% of my Florins were worn flat from Australia

4 George V with a Fine 1918M and 1921 and gVF 1934 and VF 1936

More pictures coming, but look at this 1947

And my 1958

These two are UNC I think.

I have bought 18 coins in all for a total of $540 NZ, with the exception of the pre 1940 ones, all are EF or better and several are proper UNC
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1658 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2020  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My George VI group includes

All common dates, but what a great way to start collecting Australian florins.

1938 - gVF/aEF, 1941 AU/UNC, 1942 ef, 1943S almost UNC, 1944S AU
1946 and 1947 both Uncirculated.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1658 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2020  06:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Lizzies are also hot stuff and were cheap at like $14 or so a coin. The 56 cost a bit more.

1953 Dark but UNC, 1956 high EF, 1958 Choice UNC, 1960 UNC, 1961 Choice, 1962 Choice, 1963 UNC but stain and some tone.

Close ups of each coin coming.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2597 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2020  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. They all look good to me.
Better than most of mine.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 14,500 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Learn More...
United States
92385 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Australia
804 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2020  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very nice. They all look good to me.

Better than all of mine ... an impressive collection in the making!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1658 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2020  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys, the dealer said he usually undergrades for once and if it helps all my Australian florins before this were worn as heck.

From oldest to newest

1918 M - Fine (Probably a bit higher like F+)

1921 - described as about Fine I would say its full fine

This 1934 is described as gVF and I agree, lots of lustre and a full crown band on George. I have dreamed about decent KGV Australian silver for years, the $18 I paid for this is totally worth and I could add 2 zeroes if the date was 2 years earlier

1936 VF, I have heard 36 is the easiest date of KGV to get so even though its a nice coin, its hardly scarce still I like the lustre on its reverse. It was $55 so not exactly a common coin price but considering my Kiwi 36 was $125 and its barely VF. On the other hand my Fine UK coin was only $9!

I love these coins as honestly all of KGV Australia sans copper and the Canberra Florin is VG or worse.
Edited by Princetane
10/13/2020 8:02 pm
Valued Member
Australia
396 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2020  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some nice Aussie silver there! One of my first pre-decimal metal detecting finds was a 1947 florin. I think I fell in love with florins from that point onwards! Just love the size and weight of them.
Learn More...
United States
92385 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7739 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2020  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I could say the same! Great pickup, Princetane!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1658 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2020  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys - I am excited about these coins too, when I saw them for sale, I knew I was not saving any wages this week. there was also a 1913 VG and 1916 Fine, but I missed out on those 2. The dealer is offering to sell me more privately.

David Graham - Me too - I love big silver coins - hence my obsession with Florins and Halfcrowns of all descriptions - Australia has really eluded me until now for two reasons.

1. They didn't have Halfcrowns and only 1 crown with a easy date and a hard one.

2. Until now, most pre 1958 Australian silver coins I saw were mostly heavily worn and flat discs. Was it combination of high silver content and a warm and humid or hot and dry environment over 50+ years that wore them down? Or can I be rude and say you Aussies were just rough as guts with your coins then?

Anyway back to these coins

1938 described as gVF (I would say its EF) and a fantastic first year example of this type - my chances of buying the uniface 1937 pattern are non existent, I assure you.

1941, this is described as UNC and I paid a lot for it (Highest cost in the whole collection), it may be if not at least a good AU.

This one is gEF and surprisingly the wear is lighter than the 1943s which has those black spots.
Valued Member
Australia
396 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2020  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Princetane - Rough as guts mate. Just look at how we treat pennies in 2 Up.

BTW - Watch how many coins you're accumulating. Don't want to see the North Island subsiding into the ocean!
Edited by David Graham
10/13/2020 8:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
876 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2020  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice pickups especially the conditions on the coins I believe fairly good UNC to VF coins pre 1920 is hard to find, as for the 1920-1936 still fairly hard with the 1932 being a Super keydate and the 1934 Melbourne being a low mintage commemorative design. As for the 1936-1945 have silver sterling content and as so hoarded and the you have the post 1946 which are also hoard but only after decimalisation.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1658 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2020  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More coins

1943S AU and you can see that black mark wear on the King's head and cheek. This is one of the American war time Florins. They helped out between 1942 and 1944 for Australia and Fiji, but not NZ probably as NZ was never occupied or threatened by Japan.

1944S UNC - This is a great coin and I love the shine. In 1946 they switched to half silver

I thought this was UNC but I checked the notes and its AU

This one is UNC and another creamy coin.

Surprisingly no Florins were minted in 1948, 49 or 1950.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1658 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2020  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
David Graham - Yeah had a big week, with these and the $2 coins. But will be taking a bit of buy in break for a while and need to save some $$$.

The Halfcrowns from the UK are all coins I bought months ago and I haven't bought a Kiwi coin in a while.

Some people's collections here make mine look like a 8 year with a 2 cent piece. I am a very small fish in a big pond.
Valued Member
Australia
124 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2020  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add squaremealroundplate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Princetane A very nice group of florins. A nice small " 6 " 1946, too.

The florins from 1938 onwards appear to have mostly come from original rolls because florins from rolls can consistantly have the king's ear a little flatter.

The 1938 and earlier florins you have are all " kosher " from what I can see as both the emu's legs are well proportioned and not thin.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 1,558Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05