Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help! Real Or Counterfeit?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 449Next Topic  
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2020  3:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Siciliae to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello and good evening!

I'd kindly like some help in ascertaining the authenticity of this coin, which (I believe) is an Epirus drachm. The seller didn't have a clue about the coin, only that it tested for silver and was mounted in 9ct gold. Not too sure of the beige mark under Zeus' chin, either. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

The listing stated it weighed 9.7 grams and measured 31.1mm x 23.4mm (which also includes the bail).

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses

Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5268 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2020  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to see Kushanshah's and others' opinions on this one.

There are possible die matches to be found - assuming we're dealing with a struck coin and not a cast. These include coins sold by good dealers. Usually, that's a good sign:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=748945
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5366210
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=6387115

There is always, however, the possibility that they were fooled by a good fake. For comparison:

Two things are potentially odd to me. One is the top seller's example, pictured just below your coin. IF the reverse is a die match to yours and the others (I haven't studied it carefully enough to determine), then the degradation (?) of the die (or mold?) happened between the time that coin was manufactured and others were created. Whether that happened in antiquity or modern times, I dunno. The nature of that degradation - or whatever it is - seems odd. If the coin is struck, much of what we see would have to been impressed intaglio into the die in order to show us as raised bumps like this.

The other thing that gives me just a bit of pause - although this one may be inconsequential - is that the obverse beige mark you refer to just happens to be where the "BO" is situated on the others. That "BO" may be a legit ancient monogram, though. If, on the other hand, it was a modern touch - like initials of a (modern) maker - that would be a sensible place to do some "erasing." But I believe a "BO" monogram might show up elsewhere on Epirus coins...although I could be mistaken about that. And it is described as a monogram in the Gorny and Mosch listing.

All legit? Or all fake?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3743 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2020  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum. You've come to a phenomenal place to share and learn.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Learn More...
United States
23284 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2020  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

The coin IMO is genuine, the bezel looks hand made and not something that a jeweler would make.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11073 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  01:11 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  06:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Siciliae to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for the welcome and replies, really appreciate it! Seems I came to the right place

So far, the answers have been reassuring in regards to the coin's authenticity. The seller has shipped the piece out today and it should be with me tomorrow. I shall inspect closely what the beige mark under Zeus' chin is all about and perhaps see if it can be removed at all (unless any of you advise me against this).

If anyone else would like to weigh in, please feel free! I'm only a beginner and an amateur in the world of numismatics, so any knowledge would be worth its weight in gold
Pillar of the Community
United States
1064 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  06:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All four are clearly dependent, either struck from the same dies or cast from molds with a common host. The progressive "die damage"(?) on the reverse is interesting. What should we make of the similarity of the flan shapes? I agree with @Bob_L: "I dunno."
Edited by Kushanshah
10/15/2020 09:38 am
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Siciliae to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your opinion, much appreciated. Wish I had an expert near me to take the coin to, but alas.
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Siciliae to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Received the coin today and I'm happy to say that the beige substance under Zeus' chin was just a little dirt, which was easily removed. I'm also pleased to confirm the 'BO' monogram is present

I wonder how much a coin like this would be worth? Either way, thank you all for your help, especially Bob L

Pillar of the Community
United States
5268 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder how much a coin like this would be worth?

Here is the auction result for the last of the linked coins. It went for 225 Euro on an estimate of 150.

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 449Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05