Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newbies And Counterfeits

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 530Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  6:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NJV to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Well, I got my first counterfeit coins recently, and it was truly disheartening. The coins were replica reichspfennigs that were so bad, I was amazed that the seller stood by them as authentic. The crazy thing was the seller had nearly 100% positive feedback, a high number of reviews and the word 'coin' on the business name. You'd think someone selling and calling themselves a coin dealer would get beat down quickly by people with scruples.
I'm posting here because the bulk of my coins are modern. I read an older post that really freaked me out about modern coins, low value coins coming in as counterfeits. What? Why would anyone counterfeit a modern dime or quarter or a Buffalo? But apparently this is a thing.
So... Being a newbie, I'm starting to feel chills go down my spine as I wonder how many of the coins I've purchased through eBay are just fakes?
What is good advice for a new collector? (other than don't use eBay) How would I be able to identify a fake? It seems daunting to try to sleuth out.
I want coin collecting to stay a joyful hobby, not turn into scrutinizing everything to make sure I haven't gotten ripped off.
How does a newbie keep the joy if there are so many fake coins out there?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51307 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could not tell from the listing pics that these were bad fakes?

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17431 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NJV: to the CCF! - you have come to the right place.
There are lots of people here who are ready to give and opinion, when it comes to doubtful coins.
The existence of fake and counterfeit coins is one of the essential reasons why you should be a CCF member.
CCF motto:
'Education is the key to collector success!'
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add helpmethanks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
can you post a picture
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3132 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The coins were replica reichspfennigs that were so bad,

Your first clue was they were sold as replicas, going forward as a new buyer, post any questions you may have before you buy something on here, we have lots of years of experience, and will point you in the right direction..

So many new buyers come to us for help after they buy something,, we can be of more help before you buy something,, then over time you will learn the in's and out's of what to look for before you buy something..

everyone goes through the buying mistakes, but it looks like you have come for help early on.. we wil help you going forward in anyway we can..

so post photos of what you bought, and if they are garbage, you can send them back and get a refund..
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NJV to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't figure out how to quote a post yet, dangit. Not in the tutorial that I can see.

silverwolf - The coins were NOT listed as replicas. They were listed at authentic, but I received replicas.

Coinfrog - The seller publiished a stock photo, not of the actual items.

helpmethanks - I should've taken a photo, but I was so mad I just mailed them right back for a refund.

I understand we are in the modern coins section, so I don't want to go down a reichspfennig rabbit hole here, but here's the listing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323971262376

My main concern is of being new to collecting in a place where there is more deception than I realized.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NJV to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot to mention that I am a proud bottom feeder. I don't have a lot of money but I love coins dearly. I love what many consider cull and junk, and I look for things on the cheap because they are still beautiful to me. But I don't want to pay for cheap garbage from China.
So I'm in a bit of a bind - Going to my dealer I am often faced with bigger price tags than people unloading junk drawers on eBay. Also, I'm stuck at home recovering from surgery for a while, so I can't go to my local coin store and dig through the junk boxes anyway. The reputable online coin sellers I've seen so far have bigger price tags and not a lot of rejected coins. (very worn, bent, etc)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3132 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
o.k, so the next question would be, why do you think the aren't real, they are low value coins, being sold as lots, with stock photos,,
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NJV to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi silverwolf
Even someone as Green as myself could s immediately that these weren't authentic. I regret not taking photos.
The three coins arrived loose on a plastic baggy. OK. But when I dumped them out, they were very obviously not zinc and not 80 years old. They were very shiny with a black patina that looked very fake. They felt and looked like carnival tokens, not old zinc. They looked brand new and felt like a cheap alloy, not 80 year old zinc

When I looked closer at this particular seller, it seems this is all they really sell : lots and lots and lots of "old" German coins with stock photos. So there's something I could do next time.
I'm not a suspicious person by nature, so this really threw me off.
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In some ways, the cheap replica is actually the good kind of fake to receive since it is obvious and you can just return. I wouldn't get too discouraged. Certainly, the higher the value/rarity of the coin, the more the counterfeiters are willing to invest in getting it just right. If you are buying inexpensive coins and there is a return policy, just make sure you have some books/references to double check how the coins look. Of course, when I say inexpensive coins, I mean low value/rarity coins and not a $400 coin you found for $40. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. There are some amazing fakes that are posted here periodically.
People here have been very nice about commenting on coins as genuine or fake when folks post pictures. You can always do that if you aren't comfortable. I personally have never bought a coin based on a stock photo because I'm picky about eye appeal even on those cheap coins.
Learn More...
United States
17433 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can't figure out how to quote a post yet

I can't fix your recent purchase, but I can help with this. Copy and paste the text into the reply box, then press the switch to full reply button. Highlight that text and then press the little button on the format line that looks like a sheet of paper with a red arrow.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Poland
160 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  01:43 am  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just as a further note, that is a lot to pay for the zinc 3rd Reich coinage. Even the bronze and brass stuff can be had at that unit price - I have a pair of better grade Reichspfennigs up on my Ebay for around $4 each ATM. As a rule, unless completely UNC, or a key date / mint combination, the Zinc stuff should not exceed $1-2 a piece.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11073 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  02:06 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at that seller's listings, the coins don't necessarily look fake, but many look harshly cleaned, including those in the listing you purchased from.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7551 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  03:19 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
going through his listings he seems to have dozens of listings for fakes. If he's not willing to remove them himself then they should be done for him.

Edit: Anything that is not strictly bullion or a flag or US is fake. There may be a few that aren't but I'd still run
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Edited by GrapeCollects
10/16/2020 03:21 am
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  03:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NJV to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the coins don't necessarily look fake, but many look harshly cleaned

That's interesting. But again, the coins I received looked nothing like the stock photography. They were very shiny with a very dark patina and no evidence of wear. I am kicking myself for not taking a photo.
How would I know if I have a fake US quarter or other modern coin? Does that happen often?
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  03:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NJV to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
he seems to have dozens of listings for fakes

Thank you! The 100% positive reviews plus the coin business name convinced me it was OK.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 530Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05