Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1997 Dime DD Or MD? Please Help Me Identify.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 366Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  11:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Co1ns to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone please tell me if this is a double?

Thank you

Pillar of the Community
United States
1142 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MD, the devices are smaller because of this. Doubling would enlarge the devices.
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  01:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Co1ns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Ty2020b,

Thanks for the response. What does devices refer to?

Thanks,

Co1ns
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  03:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Believe7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Devices:are the design elements, including the portrait and images, as well as the mint date and other inscriptions. The field is the smooth background surface of the coin onto which the devices are placed.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36084 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  04:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like MD and DDD.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1142 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a quick illustration. I took your picture, with the red lines I notated the original thickness of the R (approximately, the flattening does cause some spreading). The yellow arrow is indicating the edge created by the Machine Doubling. Notice how the thickness between the yellow arrow and the bottom line is thinner than the original, intended thickness. The E and R are both great examples, easy to discern.

An analogy I heard on here that explains it well (forgot who to give credit to) .... imagine creating an R out of dough, then take a knife to press down the edge of that R. The compressing of the dough naturally creates a spread out, flat, and lowered shelf of the R. This leaves the intended thickness of the R to be thinner.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51307 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, looks like some DDD here as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1142 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46719 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As mentioned Machine Doubling and DDD (Die-Deterioration doubling from die wear and note the fields. With that many wrinkles, you know that the die was an old die) When you look at DDR's on dimes there are not many listed for that whole area:
Note the years without being underlined. Those are the no DDR years. When you get to the 2014 forward dimes, take look to see where the DDR's on the single squeeze dies really are:
https://www.doubleddie.com/2301358.html
https://www.doubleddie.com/2301358.html
https://www.doubleddie.com/2209637.html
2011-P and D through 2019-D:

Also Wexler lists some other areas to check on earlier dates as well:
1999-2008. All the years listings not on V.V because no one has submitted them to them yet.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/16/2020 4:14 pm
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Co1ns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ty2020b, coop, coinfrog, believe7 abeed john1,

Thank you all for all the information you are providing. I am honestly humbled by your knowledge. I appreciate you taking the time to provide the comparisons. Hopefully one day I'll be able to contribute to this forum as you all do.

Thanks again,

Co1ns
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Co1ns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ty2020b, coop, coinfrog, believe7 and john1,

Thank you all for all the information you are providing. I am honestly humbled by your knowledge. I appreciate you taking the time to provide the comparisons. Hopefully one day I'll be able to contribute to this forum as you all do.

Thanks again,

Co1ns
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 366Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05