Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1943 Jefferson Nickel Mint Error - Split Planchet After The Strike (3.0g)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 378Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2595 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  2:44 pm Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Saw this one for $30 and thought that was a great price so picked it up.

1943 Jefferson nickel mint error - split planchet after the strike.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2091 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
cool pick up tropicalbats

i get a kick out of errors...
thanks for posting
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51302 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a beast!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4357 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one! Split planchets are very neat errors. I wonder if they get discovered split fully or in tact and then split by someone wanting to see the inside?

-CH27
Collector of U.S. varieties and errors
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2473 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! What's the weight?

Edit: Duh! Never mind, I just saw it in the title.
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Edited by Yokozuna
10/18/2020 06:16 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1600 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add QuarterHoarder72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome one! Looks super cool. It seems to become a darker tone as it goes to the right side of the coin, do you think that's planchet discoloration or environmental discoloration?
Cherrypicker/Error Collector
Best Coins:
1902 Indian cent Off Center
http://goccf.com/t/376888
1972-D Lincoln Cent Major Die Break
http://goccf.com/t/376595
Edited by QuarterHoarder72
10/18/2020 11:42 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2595 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all! I have been unable to figure out the color gradient. The only correlation I came up with was that the coin gets slightly thicker as you go left to right so maybe something to do with that. I am unsure but looks more environmental than natural.
Pillar of the Community
United States
505 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing error! Curious if this is only considered 2.5 cents by the US treasury Dept. lol.
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/356041

Interesting find - 1947 S over inverted S http://goccf.com/t/368005
Pillar of the Community
United States
740 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add josephm99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I see the remnants of the P mintmark on the reverse.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 378Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05