Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1938 Lincoln Penny Strong Front No Back

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 857Next Topic
Page: of 2

25 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  11:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jrvaults to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
THIS PENNY CAME FROM THE SAME COLLECTION AS THE NO DATE PENNY.

B O N U S
A WHILE BACK I SAID I WOULD SHOW A PIC OF A TONED 1964 PENNY. I BOUGHT 6 ROLLS OF UNCIRCULATED 1964 PENNIES AND OPENED 2. THIS WAS ONE OF THE ENDS.
Valued Member
United States
322 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  12:09 am  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rim all the way around that 1938 looks flattened down. Suggest to me that it is PMD. I'd look for sanding marks with a microscope.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4040 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please, ONE coin per thread. Thank you. More than a single coin only confuses things.

Speaking only of the first coin, the cent with a featureless back, this is not a mint error. Someone has deliberately sanded down the reverse for whatever reason (perhaps the beginning of a Magician's coin?). Clearer, larger SHARP photos would help.
ša va bien aller
25 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jrvaults to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I DONT KNOW I CANT TELL. YOUR FURTHER OPINION TO YOUR FIRST RESPONSE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

25 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jrvaults to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess him being a magician does make sense. I got collection from a man that was liquidating his late uncles (WWII fighter pilot) coin collection for his aunt. He sent a picture of the man, he didnt look like a magician but if he was he could have removed the date from the other penny too. Magician fits.
25 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jrvaults to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
after using the microscope and then looking at the first 2 pictures I'mánot sure how much sharper the first two pics could have been.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4040 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  02:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your photos are too blurry to tell anything. It would help if you removed the coin from the 2x2 holder. Try using a cell phone's camera (at about a 5X zoom) rather than a microscope is my recommendation.
ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11130 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  03:00 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Getting the weight of the "uniface" coin will help determine what happened.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36453 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  05:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1938 cent is PMD not an error. Always best to remove coins from 2x2 holders before taking photos,always.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
25 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  06:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jrvaults to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i havent removed it from the flip because it has been in it for many many many years and I hate to be the one to expose it now. I value your opinion and you may be absolutely right. I honestly hope that you are basing this factual based statement on the fact that you yourself have tried to sand off or remove any part of a coin successfully so you know what it looks like right?
25 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jrvaults to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i find it very hard to believe that this coin maintained exactly the same color and wear patterns as the front of the coin after undergoing this damage you claim someone did to it.
25 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jrvaults to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
im saying so based only on common sense not because I know for a fact and I am wrong a lot so I wont be surprised if I am.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3187 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  07:31 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so when the coin is punched from the strip, it is called a blank, it is completely flat,and rimless.. then it goes through the upsetting machine, the blank is now called a planchet, as it now has a raised edge/rim around the coin, now the planchet is ready to be struck,,

So for a coin to be missing the raised edge on only one side, it had to be done after it left the mint.

As for the color if it was sanded or ground off 60 years ago, the coin wear, would remove most evidence of the intial damage, and the coin would tone the same on both times over time..
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36453 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jrvaults,
Here is a thought: send in all of your errors and or varieties to a third party grader ( PCGS,NGC.ANACS) that you trust and let us know what they said.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
10/19/2020 08:42 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52097 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Deliberately ground down, for whatever reason. Not an error.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47361 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When you look closer, you can see the sanding scratches. The coin was altered. If the coin was a mint error, then the weight would be normal. Some have thought that two planchets were struck at once. But when that happens they are bonded together:

Note the center coin is actually two bonded/fused together. (This is the only example I've seen of this happening. Most of the times these are altered to create a supposed error coin, but are not the real deal.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/19/2020 10:25 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 857Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05