Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Did The TPG Drop The Ball With This "1875 PCGS PR62 20c Twenty Cent?"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 675Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  12:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Take a look at eBay item number: 203142577526. I'm not a potential buyer, but the listing title caught my eye. What's going on where the mintmark normally shows on the reverse? And what about "details" for the scratches? (I confess my ignorance: maybe that's acceptable die polishing or some other kind of "normal" for a U.S. silver proof of this vintage?)

Just mildly shocked...
Tom

"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
Edited by daltonista
10/19/2020 1:14 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21645 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just can't see this coin in a straight grade holder. Obvious signs of a rough cleaning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2526 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those don't look like die polishing lines to me, looks like a harsh cleaning, impaired proof. Maybe it looks different in hand.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52065 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is that black mark on the reverse above the Y in TWENTY?
Edited by Coinfrog
10/19/2020 1:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2559 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look like Die Polishing lines to me.
Don't know about that black thing
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52065 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the enlarged images, the lines do not appear (at least to me) to cross any of the devices, so I'm thinking they are in fact die polishing lines that are just being captured in an unflattering light.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/19/2020 2:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1406 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of them don't seem to pass over the devices, some do though. Seems unlikely PCGS would straight grade this if it wasnt die polishing, or maybe they REALLY dropped the ball .

Either way, not a fan.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7795 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm actually not sure it was cleaned, and hear me out. A lot of really rough and mishandled seated proofs that are uncleaned tend to get this appearance from their delicate surfaces. It could just be a mishandled proof, or cleaned. I'd need to see in hand
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Okay, thanks to all. I think I'll contact the seller for an answer about the mintmark space. Will keep you posted.

Wash your hands, everybody!
Tom
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the die was polished, someone got mixed up and went to the hardware store for sand paper :)
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9417 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
most likely die polishing but as stated someone went a little overboard. possibly after polishing the dies several times you are going to get this look so this strike could be towards the end of the die use. I'm more concerned about the black mark which looks like permanent black marker. ignoring that I think the grade is correct but if that mark is on the coin then this coin should have been detailed
Pillar of the Community
United States
9424 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Talk about terrible images. I have to assume PCGS saw these as die polish lines under in hand examination and got it right. If not, market grading has reached a new low.....
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

My inquiry to the seller: "Hi ~ Can you tell me, please, what the black splotches on the reverse are? I see one on the eagle's wing near 9:00, and the other is where a mintmark would be. Many thanks in advance! Tom"

His response, in its entirety: "It appears to be carbon spots."

Caveat emptor, I guess...

Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  05:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter611 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting carbon mark; looks like a Sharpie flick.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  09:31 am  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Count me in the die polishing lines column. But carbon spot? No, too dark and too uniform in color. Plus the edges on carbon spots tend to be more rounded. I wonder if this coin would benefit from a NGC or PCGS conservation? Sharpie mark seems plausible. And likely something that could be removed.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 675Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05