Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2020 Renewed Canada Silver Dollar...

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 2,417Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6670 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I sold this coin for over $700.00 cad back a few years back. Now I wish I didn't. :(

Coin #1: 2015 - Voyageur (1935)

This fine
You got respectful amount of money.
Some of us didn't buy this coin for CAD 200 in 2015.
Whish I did :)
However, I still say, that visually, this proof finish is flat and shows less relief than original 1935 SD.
(same with the 1935-2010 SD)
Valued Member
Canada
407 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I sold this coin for over $700.00 cad back a few years back. Now I wish I didn't. :(

You will be able to buy back in at issue price in a few years... give it another 10+ and you will be able to buy in at then bullion value. RCM Silver Proof NCLT rarely maintains NCLT premiums over a long period of time. Gold fares better but then again, most gold over 10 years old was issued for less than today's bullion/melt price, even with NCLT premium, so you can recover the initial cost (but not the cost of money).
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2756 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You will be able to buy back in at issue price in a few years... give it another 10+ and you will be able to buy in at then bullion value. RCM Silver Proof NCLT rarely maintains NCLT premiums over a long period of time. Gold fares better but then again, most gold over 10 years old was issued for less than today's bullion/melt price, even with NCLT premium, so you can recover the initial cost (but not the cost of money).

Its true most NCLT lose value but the 1st Renewed Silver Dollar will not be one of them. There is no way this coin will go to issue price, let alone bullion value. It is a low mintage coin that is a first in a series of popular coins.
Perhaps 1% of RCM coins maintain their value. And the first Renewed Silver Dollar is one of them. Look at the 2011 Lady Bug Coin and the 2013 Gold Superman. These coins have maintain their value for a long time; a decade in the case of the Lady Bug coin.

There are 5 coins in the past 10 years that have maintained their value.

1. 2011 Lady Bug Coin - the first Venetian Glass coin
2. 2013 Gold Superman coin
3. 2015 Renewed Voyageur Silver Dollar
4. 2016 Pysanka Coin
5. 2018 UFO Coin

So if there is such a thing as a sure bet, the 2015 Voyageur Renewed Silver Dollar is it. You only need to look at the Lady Bug coin as an example.
Edited by MoneyPenney
10/21/2020 11:22 pm
Learn More...
Canada
9366 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are 5 coins in the past 10 years that have maintained their value.

There are more... the NHL goalie mask coins come to mind.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
407 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@MoneyPenney

I wish I was as bullish as you...

2011 Ladybug - Listed on eBay at $900+, I recall sales at $800 from a few years back... 2 closed in the last 2 months at $575 and $447. While not yet at the issue of $140, definitely off the peak.

2013 Superman - This appears to be resisting decline as the last month has seen sales of $1425 but also $655 which is below the issue price of $750. I have seen a number of counterfeits of this one so that may impact the pricing... beware on eBay

The rest of these coins are too recent to see the price decline. These are data from eBay as it is regularly available, I also frequent other auctions and after 10-15 years, prices tend to decline on the "premium" items... in some cases to issue or lower.

You may recall way back... one of the earlier NCLT darlings was the 1990 Avro Lancaster. While some still sell at a premium, if you are prepared to wait & hunt, there are deals. I bought a set of "Aviation 1" a couple of years ago for $300 or thereabouts ($30 each coin)... significantly less than the $555 ($55.50 each) Issue price and also significantly down from the peak pricing of the Lancaster back in the late '90s. There is a Lancaster sale in August at $33 listed on eBay.

I don't dispute that there are specific coins that retain value... the 2007 Silver Loons from the baby and wedding sets are other examples... however the factors that tend to cause a coin to retain value are appeal and mintage but subsequent coins in a series that are less appealing or have higher mintage can drag the entire series down including the initial coin. 2013 Superman has a $75 face value, subsequent DC Comics gold coins were $100 so arguably 2013 is a standalone item. I didn't buy in as it wasn't $100 (Series maintenance) and I don't regret it. Not a big fan of the Warner & DC Comics coins but I have the 2014-2016 $100 items to satisfy my OCD.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6670 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the last news from a "field" that the coin is Awaiting Stock.

On eBay though it already sells (based on the asking price) for CAD 499 !

Btw, there are very generous offering for 2015 and 2016 SD on other forum - do not miss....
Valued Member
Canada
219 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2020  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just received this coin. That's the only Masters Club coin I bought this year. I liked the 80s design; I found the "Canada Dollar" font particularly cute.

The only issue is it's hard to find the polar bear's eye

Valued Member
Canada
465 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2020  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@YesOrNo

Nice pic's.

I too received my Masters Club coin today. On display with my other 250 plus coins. :)
"If you lose it here, you're in a world of hurt"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
898 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2020  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add New1954 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I received mine today as well. I was so thrilled because the COA# 0024/2500.......AND, I like the coin and packaging very much.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4775 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2020  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@YesOrNo: Thanks for sharing the images of your coin!

I haven't pursued the Renewed series for my personal collection, but I always enjoy seeing actual images of the releases.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 2,417Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05