Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1996-P Dime Clad Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 623Next Topic  
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  10:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky323 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this in change from the store. Thought environmental damage to start with but It has a copper shine to it. Any suggestions?

Pillar of the Community
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  12:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add josephm99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm actually leaning toward this one being an actual missing clad layer. I'll wait for the experts to chime in, but I don't think I see the clad layer anywhere, even on the low wear areas (between the letters).
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36476 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
17731 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  06:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@lucky, yes pls post the weight. I'm going to be pessimistic and be in the environmental exposure/surface staining camp, but the weight will help us know for sure.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1783 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find clad when metal detecting that have turned this color but the weight is needed to be sure.
Edited by Petespockets55
10/20/2020 10:50 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47384 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel it is a metal detector find. The color should be deeper red and show some weakness on the strike:

If you carry it in your pocket you will see the coating wear off the highest devices first. Probably you could take a damp cloth and rub on the outer rim just before the edge, and you will probably see the color come back on that area of the coin. If it were a real missing clad, do you think it would have been out in circulation and not picked up when the first person opened the roll? It was turned loose 24 years ago?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky323 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It weighs 2.3 but it's thicker than a regular dime. Also rubbed it with water and a cloth and nothing happened.

Edited by Lucky323
10/20/2020 6:04 pm
Learn More...
United States
17731 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@lucky, since the weight is correct, I am certain that the color is due to surface staining rather than a missing clad error.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
20 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky323 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What about the thickness difference?
Learn More...
United States
17731 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is some variation in planchet thickness permissible by mint specs. A missing clad coin would be thinner than typical (which explains why the high details may be missing as noted by @coop).
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47384 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The edge is not always a guide to thickness. Even a finned coin will show the edge look taller:

The stock thickness will be the same (most of the time) but the upsetting of the planchet and the strike controls the reed edge thickness/thinness. Take a sample of a few coins in a clear plastic tube. Some areas on the edges are thicker and thinner, even on the same coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
4050 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  01:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also rubbed it with water and a cloth and nothing happened.

Please don't clean your coins or hold them between your fingers. Both actions kill any numismatic value your coins might have. Just fyi.
ša va bien aller
Pillar of the Community
United States
1969 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dime appears to retain some mint luster. As a result, I suspect this dime was struck on an improperly annealed planchet.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36476 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normal weight is 2.27. Missing one clad layer would make it weight? Missing both clade layers would make it weight?Improperly annealed planchet should make it weight normal,right?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky323 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the information.i am going to hang on to it and put it with the rest of my odd coins.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 623Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05