Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1959 Penny Grading Help2

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 418Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
175 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  5:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
All,

I'd like to try two more 59's tonight. Here's the first. I was playing with the lighting to try and get the best details so there are two photos of the obverse. I tried more indirect lighting on the reverse photos and it came out more well defined, but not as bright red as the actual coin. I realize it does me no good to adjust the photos to get a higher grade estimate--just trying to give you all the best info on which to judge the grade. :)

Thanks!

Bill

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52097 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse appears brownish-red, is that right?
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No--sorry. It is bright red but I kept getting shiny spots that "masked" the features under the lighting so I altered the light location for better detail.

Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2031 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try shooting photos using a filtered/diffused light source.
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK. I will. Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16690 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16690 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it helps, here's 59P I've graded at 67RD:

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52097 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-66RD.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1417 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS65 as well on this one.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14302 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at MS-65RD .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. I'm calling it 65+ (which I do when I want to do further review down the road).

Best,

Bill
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16690 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might be helpful for you to look at PCGS, especially the sold coins history and photos:

https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...9-1c-rd/2854
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BadThad,

I'd been to the PCGS site but didn't see the "view more images" link--extremely helpful! Using those photos, IMHO, I would say that I have several that are as good as or better than the best 65s, but not as good as the best 66 examples. I believe that I have a handful that are as good as the lower to mid level 66's.

Thanks!

Bill
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 418Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05