Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsCoin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

1959 Penny Grading Help2

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,693Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
220 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  5:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
All,

I'd like to try two more 59's tonight. Here's the first. I was playing with the lighting to try and get the best details so there are two photos of the obverse. I tried more indirect lighting on the reverse photos and it came out more well defined, but not as bright red as the actual coin. I realize it does me no good to adjust the photos to get a higher grade estimate--just trying to give you all the best info on which to judge the grade. :)

Thanks!

Bill
1959-Penny-Grading-Help2
1959-Penny-Grading-Help2
1959-Penny-Grading-Help2
Bedrock of the Community
Coinfrog's Avatar
United States
94367 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse appears brownish-red, is that right?
Valued Member
United States
220 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No--sorry. It is bright red but I kept getting shiny spots that "masked" the features under the lighting so I altered the light location for better detail.

Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
ijn1944's Avatar
United States
19611 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try shooting photos using a filtered/diffused light source.
Valued Member
United States
220 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK. I will. Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
BadThad's Avatar
United States
20052 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
65
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ INVENTOR
https://verdi.care/
Bedrock of the Community
BadThad's Avatar
United States
20052 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it helps, here's 59P I've graded at 67RD:


1959-Penny-Grading-Help2
1959-Penny-Grading-Help2
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ INVENTOR
https://verdi.care/
Bedrock of the Community
Coinfrog's Avatar
United States
94367 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-66RD.
Pillar of the Community
Ty2020b's Avatar
United States
4680 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS65 as well on this one.
Rest in Peace
T-BOP's Avatar
United States
18456 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at MS-65RD .
Valued Member
United States
220 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. I'm calling it 65+ (which I do when I want to do further review down the road).

Best,

Bill
Bedrock of the Community
BadThad's Avatar
United States
20052 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might be helpful for you to look at PCGS, especially the sold coins history and photos:

https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...9-1c-rd/2854
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ INVENTOR
https://verdi.care/
Valued Member
United States
220 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BadThad,

I'd been to the PCGS site but didn't see the "view more images" link--extremely helpful! Using those photos, IMHO, I would say that I have several that are as good as or better than the best 65s, but not as good as the best 66 examples. I believe that I have a handful that are as good as the lower to mid level 66's.

Thanks!

Bill
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,693Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Forums