Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Else Think It's A Seller's Market For Slabbed Classic Coins On Ebay.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 418Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
7298 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  5:28 pm Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There are almost no auctions for classic coins on ebay. What few there are, go for almost retail. Nothing like it used to be a couple of years ago. I'm thinking of listing a few.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1469 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure.

I stopped selling classic Commems because they were bringing much less than greysheet. Much less. Mine were all slabbed and midgrade..64-6. In fact I there was one, a Long Island I believe, that I basically slabbed for free for the customer, as it sold for right around my purchase price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2654 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm only buying slabbed IHC and what I noticed is that prices are 50% to 100% higher than a few months ago. Comparing today, there are none for sale in the sold prices of the last 6 months and I'm comparing AU/MS today to AU/MS sold in the past 6 months. All are higher than the lower sold prices. But I'm only buying slabbed IHC so my basis is not everyone else's. I've also noticed a lot of prices are much higher than NGC or PCGS price guides.
Valued Member
Poland
227 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  04:47 am  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a dealer in world coins / collector of slabbed, high grade, pre-Euro Belgium, I can say that this is the case for coins in general... Raw material is puttering along at perhaps 20-30% above pre-COVID levels, but NGC / PCGS material is crazy high (around 100-150% above pre-COVID levels). I think it might be a perfect storm of boredom, safe-haven, and increased interest as a result of commodity swings.
Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dieuwer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are almost no auctions for classic coins on ebay.

I have noticed the same thing. Most coins sales on eBay seems to be of the "Buy-It-Now" type, with or without "Make-an-Offer". Many slab sales seem to be "Take-it-or-Leave-it".
I have caught several sellers "red-handed" for simply turning around that was sold on eBay a month ago for double the price now, or they bought it on Heritage and attempt to sell it for much more on eBay. It makes no sense to me at all any longer to buy slabbed stuff on eBay. I now go to Heritage, GC, and Stacks directly.
Only for raw stuff eBay is still useful.
Edited by Dieuwer
11/25/2020 7:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7740 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I pretty much have to ask for Trends prices to break even with the fees associated with ebay and paypal, but I normally have some wiggle room with the Best Offer method. I have lost too much with auctions.
Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dieuwer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The escalating fees tell me that the rare coin markets is becoming inefficient and anti-competitative.
As a counterweight to the semi-cartel of the auction websites, why not band together as small coin shop owners and create a common webpage where people can browse the entire inventory of US small business coin stores?
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 418Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05